Steering bracket 81 johnson 35 hp.Part number mayhem and confusion

swampdrummer

Cadet
The tilting pin and several other parts on my 81 johnson steering bracket/mounting bracket are shot and I have found an 85 johnson 30 hp mounting bracket/steering bracket. The whole shooting match, for a lot less than it will cost me to piece together the parts missing or rusted out on my existing bracket.

But I am having a heck of a time matching up part numbers to see if it will fit my engine.
The model number of the engine the steering bracket is coming off of is
J30TELCOA
I'm making a wild guess here and assuming that the only thing that HAS to match up is the steering bracket and the pilot tube.
I am finding part numbers as follows for the 85, 30 hp
steering bracket part no.
and pilot tube part no.
Now when I switch over to MY engine( 1981 35 hp)
model no.
J35RLCIG
I'm coming up with a part no for the steering bracket as
0326044 BUT there is a note saying that the part number is not valid!
I'm getting a part number for the pilot tube for my engine of
0326315 OR 394343

Now to further confuse, I called the OMC dealer in town and gave them both model numbers and they called me back and told me that those models both use the same part numbers!

Can any of the gurus out there tell me if this bracket will fit my motor?
Thanks much!
Brad

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering bracket 81 johnson 35 hp.Part number mayhem and confusion

The newer part numbers from the 85 are no doubt the new superseeded numbers. Check ishopmarine.com, and enter the part numbers, cross referencing from brp.

swampdrummer

Cadet

Thanks once again HighTrim,
I am getting my part numbers from ishopmarine.com, Not sure how to cross reference the old to the new? I checked crowleymarine.com and am getting the same part numbers for the 85 and coming up with a "no longer available" for the 81
Brad

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Enter the part number in ishop's search box. It will come up with the price and status, and automatically tell you if it is superceded by a different number. Otherwise, if the numbers are different, the part is different in some way. May be minor or major difference.