SHift rod lever replacement parts not right

dukhnter8

Seaman Apprentice
I dropped the lower unit to replace the impeller and screwed up the shift rod lever, piece that connects the rod to the engine/cables. I thought I got a replacement but that doesn't seem to fit right. The old part is 318556 and the new one is 326644. THe new one fits on the shaft fine but seems to big and when on you can't shift anymore. Does anyone have any ideas? Or where to get old parts. It's a 77 evinrude 55hp.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: SHift rod lever replacement parts not right

Why are you replacing the shift rod? It has to be set to the correct height per the OMC manual.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The BRP website shows part# 0320132 for a short shaft model,and 0320133 for a long shaft engine.These may be a superceded number,i don't know.
Those are the numbers for the shift rod,is that what your talking about?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The screw that enters from the front of the motor is supposed to tighten that piece to the horizontal rod from the lever. Is that screw tight?

Attachments

• 318556ss326644.jpg
    318556ss326644.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 0

dukhnter8

Seaman Apprentice

On the diagram it's part 85. From Ishop marines diagram it's also 85, I think and the description is shift rod lever.

I am not replacing the rod, just what it hooks to/where the screw goes into under the engine. I should figure out how to put diagrams onto these posts.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I got that, but when you move the shift lever that #85 part is supposed to lift or push the shift rod. Is that what is not working?

dukhnter8

Seaman Apprentice

It broke into three peices. So I need a replacement and I got a new one but it's not the same and doesn't move enough.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If you are confident that the original part #318556 and the #326644 one you gave are not the same, call sea-way. com in Seattle WA and see if they have the original part by the origiinal number.

Be sure and have your model number when you call, and you should post it here as well so that there will not be a misunderstanding when others try to use this information.

dukhnter8

Seaman Apprentice

I am confident that it's the right part number, because the number is stamped on the old part.
Ordered a new one from Evinrude parts, supposed to be here in 2-7 days.
Not bashing anyplace, but the other place might have the different part number because it's an old motor and parts might not be made anymore and that was the supposed replacement number. The new part fit but would not allow enough travel for proper shifting.