Broken Transom Clamp

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I guess someone drove their car into the back of my little boat while it was parked on the street because the transom clamp is broke on my 1984 15 HP Evinrude.

Can this be welded, or does it need to be replaced?

Thank you.

Attachments

• P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 0

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Broken Transom Clamp

Wow, ouch. I don't see why it couldn't be welded, but replacing it will be better, if it's not too expensive.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Transom clamps on small engines CAN be welded BUT you need to be certain that the welder is top notch. Since welding can tend to distort and weaken the metal around it, a marginal or even good weld is not good enough for a critical piece like a clamp.

Send me your email in a private message--I know a guy that has about 75 small engines in various sizes. You might get lucky--he may have an extra clamp that he might be willing to part with.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If the part that I circled is the break, that is not the clamp. You would need a lot of work to open that up for a welder, and she would have to be really good. I think you might want to consider contacting some of the salvage yards for another midsection.

Attachments

• P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Made the mistake of opening mouth without putting brain in gear---I did not look at the photo first. That is not the transom clamp, it is the swivel yoke. Since both clamps attach to it, I would be leery of welding it and would tend to do that only as a last resort. I would try to replace it first.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I agree with the others...nasty bit of luck for you. Could be welded if you can find the right guy, but could also be spendy. I think I'd look for a replacement clamp first...might try the free classifieds at www.aomci.org, or outfits that deal in older motors/parts...although 84 certainly isn't old by my standards.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks, everyone. I'm still trying to get over being angry about it ... I was going to take pictures of the boat today so I could sell it when I discovered the damage which makes it even more frustrating... The outboard is certainly the most valuable part of this boat (which now also has a bent trim tab and broken prop).

If it could be welded, my next question was going to be "Is this a good project for me to learn how to weld on?"... I know my answer now. I'll find a replacement. :)

....I wonder how much damage their car has....???

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

tcoutboards.com , you may have to call them, they are very busy. huge used part place.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Try some of these companies for a used midsection or replacement part:

sea-way. com

outboard-parts. com

marinepartsoutlet. com

laingsoutboards. com

tcoutboard. com

If the motor ran well before this happened, it is probably worth good money as is to someone looking for the powehead,etc. I know I would buy it if the price were right.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Any chance of an insurance claim? Or the premium raise might not be worth it.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

EBAY!! 25 bucks,its an older model but fits a 9.9 or 15 hp...It may work,worth looking at..:D

"http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JOHNSON-EVINRUDE-OUTBOARD-9-9HP-15HP-TRANSOM-BRACKET_W0QQitemZ170184854148QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170184854148"

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Great find, Gary H NC! That ought to work.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Great find, Gary H NC! That ought to work.

Thanks Ezeke,You all know i keep my finger on the Ebay button!;)
I bought a bunch of new UL77V plugs for mine, 75 cents each,always finding deals...lol

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's perfect! Thanks, Gary. I was looking at Ebay before my first post - I only saw one for something like $80 with shipping. I'm not sure it's worth fixing it for $80, so I was thinking about parting it out... For $25, it's probably worth it.

I thought about insurance, but the premium raise wouldn't be worth it.

All these links are great, thanks everyone.

Shifflett115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you decided to have it welded it would probably have to be tig welded ,that would be the strongest way but again may be costly but worth looking in to atleast ,any welding shop could do it unless you have a tig welder

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Good luck with it JS,For 25 bucks you could probably not get it welded cheaper..;)

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try Tims Outboard. They have never failed me and are reasonable. 218 682 2331

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Ya'll - It's been a REAL long time since I've posted and I'm bringing back a REAL old thread. I've been lurking though and you guys are just as great as you were 3 years ago! :)

I haven't touched this outboard since my last post but I need the space back so I think it's time for this old outboard to go. It's probably worth more money if I fix it and I think the fix should be pretty inexpensive. Can someone identify the name of the part that's broken and what years/size outboards are a match so that I can find a replacement on eBay?

I can post more pictures tonight if that helps clarify.

Thanks guys!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

It's a complete midsection with mounting bracket. I would be inclined to try the Salvage Yards listed under the Top Secret File.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks, Wilde1j... Top Secret File..? Whassat?