Evinrude drive shaft removal

CL60

Cadet
1997 Evinrude 200 lower unit...

My on-line Seloc account is not working so... until I get that squared away:

I decided to get a new lower unit for this motor. I have to use my old drive shaft but do not know how to remove it from the old lower unit. Is there a trick to removing the upper half of the drive shaft or is mine just stuck? After looking at the new lower unit, it looks like its just a spline shaft that should pull straight up and out.

Thanks in advance,

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude drive shaft removal

Can I ask what type of damage you incurred causing you to replace such a new lower?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Did you remove the nut that retains the pinion gear to the driveshaft?

CL60

Cadet

High,

The exact cause of the damage is unknown but could have been a prop strike about a year ago. Hit a small diameter pipe sticking up off of the bottom in the middle of the channel. Dinged my brand new stainless prop. Aside from that incident, there has been no trouble until the case bulged out and split around the area of the pinion gear. Oil changes were fine with no metal or "milk" until it tore itself apart.

CL60

Cadet

Joe,

Is there a way to remove only the upper shaft of the 2 piece drive shaft from my old unit and install it in my new lower unit without the complete teardown?

My new lower unit came completely assembled with lower drive shaft installed. All it needs is my upper drive shaft to go back on the boat. Most new lower units I looked at are sold the same way, i.e., you use your old upper shaft.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:

CL60

Cadet

Joe,

Now that I've removed the old shaft, I can see how it works. The manual just doesn't go into that kind of detail. Just have to tap the old shaft into the new unit until it snaps in to place.

By the way, after gutting my old unit, I discovered that the pinion gear was missing an entire tooth. The tooth fell out into my hand after removing the bearing carrier. It looks like the loose pinion gear tooth floated around until it got wedged between the reverse gear and the case causing the split. I'm lucky I made it back to the dock without catastrophic failure.

Anyone know what could cause an entire pinion gear tooth to break off cleanly?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Gear tooth breakage is usually caused by either improper shimming of the driveshaft/pinion gear, or a faulty gear that got by the quality control department.

The upper driveshaft removal/installation? I'm not familiar with the 1997 model as I retired a few years before that BUT the earlier two piece shafts incorporated a spring and a locking pin that retained the shafts. There was no snapping the two together. Hopefully someone with that 1997 knowledge will jump in here with that know how.

CL60

Cadet

Joe,

A cylindrical clip is set inside the lower shaft by use of a roll pin on one end. The upper shaft, when inserted, snaps into the end of this clip. Only thing is, its a one way deal. Once you install the upper shaft, it won't come out without gutting the unit.

Got the LU assembled now, just waiting on a grommet for the midsection. Painting today, then installation later in the week. After that, break-in.

If I ever have to R&R and lower unit again, I'm spending the dough and getting a complete unit...ready to install!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

It will come out without taking the unit apart. There's a special tool that makes removal a snap. Real basic once you see one.

BrokeLoser

Seaman

Joe,

A cylindrical clip is set inside the lower shaft by use of a roll pin on one end. The upper shaft, when inserted, snaps into the end of this clip. Only thing is, its a one way deal. Once you install the upper shaft, it won't come out without gutting the unit.

Got the LU assembled now, just waiting on a grommet for the midsection. Painting today, then installation later in the week. After that, break-in.

If I ever have to R&R and lower unit again, I'm spending the dough and getting a complete unit...ready to install!

Old thread I know but...
I just received my brand new M2 (Magnum 2) gearcase...man this thing is beefy.
The seller pulled the drive shaft and shift rod out of it for shipping purposes. In the photos you will see a cut down drive shaft and shift rod installed...he did this to keep debris from entering the open shafts while in shipping. The cut down drive shaft is free floating and can easily be pulled right out while the shift shaft is screwed in. My questions:

The seller said I would not need to remove the drive shaft bearing housing at all and that I will simply pull the cut down drive shaft out and slip the 25" shaft in making sure to lineup the splines; he said I will feel the upper shaft lock into place with the lower shaft and I would not compromise the seal when removing the old and installing the new shaft. The problem is when I look in my manual under drive shaft removal and installation there is talk about bearing pullers....a roll pin and a retainer which hold the upper shaft to the lower shaft and lock it in place. The manual makes it look like a much bigger job than I expected.
What to do?
75A4907B-D8C1-4FD4-AA52-7B2176783DC3_zpscrkdxmc4.jpg
7E807D8F-1748-45CE-9EA0-556BEB51E6CE_zpsgsqcl3zn.jpg
EA0CC597-4FFD-4AD4-934C-1863D2AE7511_zpscbrpn1u6.jpg
B3A31539-911A-485B-897F-DF67C6ECF1EB_zpsoretecij.jpg
29AB29AB-B1DA-42D9-A1B4-EF90B17E1C9D_zpst55uoqer.jpg

BrokeLoser

Seaman

Your picture shows a lower driveshaft with a thread on the bottom.------That is for a nut to hold the pinion in place.------The lower unit prop shaft bearing carrier mut be removed in order to do this.---------I doubt the knowledge / integrity of the seller.----Proceed carefully and study the manual or it may cost you a bundle of $$$$$$

The lower drive shaft was not removed and remains in place. The upper drive shaft was separated from the lower. If my understanding is correct the upper and lower shafts are held together with a retainer and a roll pin. I think the seller pulled the roll pin out but left the retainer in place which is why he says the upper will "click" in to place when I push the new shaft in.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If your old unit has 2 piece driveshaft all you need to do is pull it and reinstall it. You can take it to a dealer and have them pull it with puller from about 20-30 bucks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

C'mon fellows, start a new thread. This one is over six years old.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If a moderator would see this, he could probably do it.