• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Old 3 HP Johnson Sea Horse

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old 3 HP Johnson Sea Horse

Hi, I just found this forum surfing for some info on my son's 3 HP Johnson Sea Horse. It is a JW-10 which is the 1952-54 model. It starts and runs fine, but the gas cap is cracked and leaks badly when the motor is tipped up. I told him I'd search for a replacement. I'm not doing very well.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards, Jim B.

Re: Old 3 HP Johnson Sea Horse

I have the exact same engine. This forum is more for help than parts. I would try the www.aomci.org site as they cater to the older engines and the classifieds are pretty good.
    Steve.

Comment

Another useful site for parts for the older motors is "http://www.laingsoutboards.com/newpage4.htm"
      Chris

Top Secret Files:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

Comment

Thanks Steve and High Trim.

I did a quick look at both of those links. They are definitely going to help.

Steve, you have the same engine. Greg likes all the comments he gets about his. However, he changes the lower unit oil about every five tanks of gas (water gets in). Is that normal? I told him the seals or whatever must not be very good anymore. The link to parts should help with that. Thanks again.

Jim

Comment

Is he changing the gaskets on the drain and vent screw every time? That is the number 1 spot for water intrusion. If not I would replace them, then run it again to determine if the leak is fixed. If there is still water intrusion, he will need to pressure test to determine exactly where the leak is, or simply replace all the seals. Steve will definately be 1 of the guys to talk to on here about the older motors. Good luck.

Just for future....

To pressure/vacuum test a lower unit:

a) drain the gear oil
          b) use an appropriate adapter with a gauge tee'd in to apply pressure or vacuum. No more than 15 psig for pressure. You can use a bicycle pump or any other compressed air source for pressure. For vacuum, you need a vacuum pump.
          c) LU should retain some pressure or vacuum for 45 minutes minimum.
          d) If pressure doesn't hold, submerge LU in water to find leak source [possibilities: drive shaft seal, prop shaft seal(s) (usually two), shift shaft seal and the fill/drain screw washers.]
          e) replace offending seal(s) as required.
          Chris

Top Secret Files:

Comment

I have the engine but actually have not got it in the water yet... it's on a long list of things to do... But for any engine there should not be that kind of water infiltration so do as HT says...

But in the meantime, changing it regularly is a good thing to prolong the life... also consider using synthetic LU oil (I know it costs more) as it's supposed to work much better than regular oil when it's been compromised with water...
            Steve.

Comment

Wow! It looks like I came to the right place. Thanks again.

Comment

Check Twin City Outboard for a cap. They are on Google. I know they will have one.

Comment

GREAT old motors..have 3. Bulletproof.
                  I have a good lower (weedless..angle drive) that I switched out on one, for a later straight drive.
                  And a day late on a cap..just sold my last one. Keep an eye on Ebay...
                  Interested, PM me, or email me .. hogrider@myway.com put 3hp in the sub line.....

Comment

Can't remember what kind of seals are in the LU of those little Johnsons from the early 50's. If it is losing regular marine LU lube/oil regularly, consider using Lubriplate 105 white engine assembly grease instead of the more fluid LU oils. Those older LU seals really weren't engineered for modern LU lube/oil. The Lubriplate will not emulsify with the water and thin and run/leak out. You can find Lubriplate at just about any auto parts store.

Comment

As tmclavary said, the seals are different now than they were in the 1950's. So if he does do the seals dont be surprised to see they are a bit different.
                      Chris

Top Secret Files:

Comment

Thanks for all the great info.

Comment

If changing seals make sure to change the one under the waterpump too...and check the shaft surface where it rides. If rough from corrosion it will continue to eat seals.

Comment

Gearcase and waterpump

Click image for larger version

Name:	1e15c4703035ce93ecd4e237e0a16c28.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	8197

Carb

Click image for larger version

Name:	525372d45e192cf898afb964f9e6e88e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	8198

Step by step explanation of how to fully tune that motor up. May be useful to you. Good luck. Just copy and paste with the "" ""

"http://www.maxrules.com/fixtuneitup.html"
                            Chris

Top Secret Files:

Comment

The seals you want to change in those pics are called "oil retainers"...one is on the prop shaft and the other under the waterpump assy.

Comment

Working...
                              X