OMC control box for tilt trim or not!!!!!!!!!!

bubbashotus

Recruit
Dear Sirs: Wow what a site i have visited for months gaining knowledge for repairs that i have made to the number of boats i have owned or still own. Much great information is found here. Heres my question. I recently purchased a 73 Starcraft with OMC controls and a 135 johnson outboard motor. It has trim tilt but not working as of yet. There is a black box with 2 relays in it that the guy i bought it from says is for the trim tilt unit,there is a pigtail that plugs into the omc contol handle but it seems as there may be some wiring missing out of the box such as main power in and trim motor leads to the trim unit itself. Is the black box just a control for bigger relays. I am headed to the Marina soon but hate looking like a fool when asking for parts that i have no clue as to what they are. A part number on the back of this box is 583106-4x-mx when searching it on the net i have found no matches. Any help would be greatly appreciated

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OMC control box for tilt trim or not!!!!!!!!!!

my suggestion is to look you motor up here, engine diagrams and part #'s.

"http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Accessories/Literature/?popup=true"

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

does the tilt motor have 2 0r 3 wires,the relay box you mention,is it mounted anywhere to give indication that it was being used,or,did the guy give you a basket case,there are a couple different wiring scenarios ,which is determined mostly by te amount of wires the tilt motor uses 2 wires makes things easier,if you havent found your answer yet,post back,/i may be able to help more with answers from my questions 2 u

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

We need a model number for the motor....

bubbashotus

Recruit

The unit motor only has two wires on it. Model # on unit refers to the motor that used to be a johnson J110TLCU which with the machining work the guy did now has a 135 mounted to it. But yes i only have 2 wires to the motor,and no the black box was not mounted to the boat anywhere but plugs into the controls pig tail. Maybe i need to volt check and ohm test to see if it even has good contact? Hope this info helps

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ok the wiring diagram for your motor is posted below, Im not quite sure exactly which wiring section you are referring to. All that box is is a junction box, to house the solenoids and connections.

help pic.gif

bubbashotus

Recruit

Hey guys thanks alot for all the help, trim tilt works great just need to trace wires to guage on console and see if i can get that working but everything else works. Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!!!!