1988 15hp Johnson: Bringing it back from the dead

skide89

Recruit
Hey
I've just aquired a 1988 johnson outboard, that has not run in two years. Is there anything that I should do or check out before I try and start it. I've put some 2 stroke oil in the cylinders just to loosten things up. Thanks

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 1988 15hp Johnson: Bringing it back from the dead

Check compression for a baseline. If it's good then it's worth sinking some loot into it. Change the impeller and still ensure good water flow from the pee hole when running... the 9.9's and the 15's have a habit of water flow issues and upper grommet issues...

wbeaton

Commander

I believe there is a thread in the FAQ's called "Awaking a Sleeping Outboard" or something like that. I sugest you take a look at it.

2Smokinya

Seaman Apprentice

Clean out the carb, change the lower unit lube, new spark plug(s), and a new water pump. Check spark and compression as well.

allinblue66

Recruit

Question from down-under...

I have a Johnson 15hp, 1987 model, which suffered a thermostat failure and consequent overheating and seizure.

Without any real prior experience but with assistance from forums like this (which are a great help), I stripped the motor down and replaced some gaskets and the thermostat. In particular, I have replaced the grommets at the top of the water inlet and outlet pipes, which had ?melted? practically shut.

I have also had a marine mechanic look at the compression, which I am told is ok. (The mechanic started the motor (before I had replaced the grommets) and said that it seemed ok but for the water flow- hence the grommets being replaced).

Having stripped the power head and replaced the gaskets, this weekend I put the motor back together and, with trepidation, pulled the starter cord. I am met with a motor that will occasionally ?kick?, but won?t fire up.

The spark plugs have been replaced, but not the coils and leads- I am working on the assumption that if the mechanic was able to get it started, these should be ok.

I have not replaced the fuel- which is probably 4 months old, but has been stored in a garage and in mild conditions.

Any ideas or suggestions for getting the motor to start greatly appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

did you torque the flywheel nut. check and see if the woodruff key sheared. ethanol fuel only has a short life span.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

closley inspect all wiring that may have melted the found ground,also check any kill /safety buttone,you might try disconnecting the buttons to eliinate them as suspect ,there is a possibility your powerpack got to hot and failed