1965 speedifour 75 HP Evinrude

akican

Cadet
I desparately need help to set the timing belt for my 1965 evinrude outboard engine. I have the service manual and follow the intruction by setting the flywheel timing mark aligned with the mark on the engine block. Then I set the magneto flywheel breaker setpoint mark aligned with the mark on the plate. Intalling the belt based on these two setting. But the engine still not start and had backfire. I got spark on four cylinder with 3/8 gap. New point, carburetor and fuel pump are just rebuilt. The points are set at 0.020 gap at it highest point on the cam. Please guide me how to set the timing for this engine please.Thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 speedifour 75 HP Evinrude

Align the flywheel as you did. Align the timing mark on the magneto pulley with the plunger on the safety switch. You do have a safety switch, don't you?

akican

Cadet

This is the part I could not understand. Since the magneto-distributor is moveable back and forth and they are not related to the timing belt. I noticed that the magneto-distributor is moving according to the throtte setting; and it stopped when it hit the stopper of gear in neutral. Today, I try to adjust the linkage to make sure both the timing mark of the magneto wheel align with the safety switch when the throttle valve at its close position. The engine is still not started. I know that the engine has been ran before until I screw up when when I changed the breaker. Please help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

When timing the belt, forget about the distributor body moving with the throttle. Timing marks on flywheel aligned with mark on cylinder block. Mark on pulley aligned with safety switch button. Put the belt on and that is it. Period. End of story.

As you operate the throttle, the distributor rotates back and forth to change the spark advance/retard IN RELATION TO the basic setting you just made.

You will need to adjust the linkage properly since you have messed with it.

I might add, if the flywheel key is sheared the timing will be off and won't run.

Last edited:

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You don't need to change the link to align the timing marks. You just rotate the flywheel until the timing mark aligns with the engine block mark and turn the distributor pulley until the timing mark aligns with the safety switch then slip the belt on. Did you perform the link & sync after moving the link? Did you take the flywheel off to put on the new timing belt? You don't need to but some people have.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here's some photos that might help showing the timing marks lined up. The timing marks are not aligned in the first overall photo but it shows the safety switch mounting location on the black distributor bracket and the link. Changing the link length only advances or retards the ingition, the timing mark alignment will not change.

Attachments

• P9190035.JPG
    P9190035.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P9280030.JPG
    P9280030.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P9190033.JPG
    P9190033.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 0

akican

Cadet

I adjust the timing belt according to what you advised, and at the same time I do check link and sync based on the service manual. Everything check out but it still not starts even I mix some gas and pour about 1 teaspoon into the carburetor to see if it can start. I am just wondering if there are any tricks to tune up this old outboard to make it runs. I know that the compression is low; it had only 80 PSI for all 4 cylinders. But it has been ruuning, idle well before. I am starting loosing some sleep because this caused me a lot of headache now. With your expertese, please guide me how to make it becone running again. Thank you for all your help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

80 PSI is not unusual for that motor. it should run OK on that. At this point do you have spark on all cylinders? Are the spark plug wires on the correct cylinders (Cylinder 1 and 3 are on one side, 2 and 4 are on the other side of the motor)? Are the plug wires shorting (arcing) to ground.

Put a timing light on number 1 cylinder and see if it sparks at the proper time (timing marks on the block and flywheel align, as does timing marks on the dist pulley and dist. body.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As FR has suggested, it sounds like the flywheel key has sheared. If your flywheel slips ever so slightly the timing will never be right. I think you should at least take the nut off and look down the keyway to see if the key is intact and lined up with the groove in the flywheel.