1950's johnson l.u. seal questions

jbjennings

Captain
I was changing the lower unit seals on my '57 johnson FD-11 and FD-11 K. I noticed that the seals that came out around the drive shaft and prop shaft on the FD-11 K seem to have a lot more rubber in contact with the shafts (about 1/4 inch) than the new seals I have. Are there different quality of seals to buy? My drive shaft has a groove in it about mid-ways where the seal contacts it. I'm thinking that the old seal design would still seal it fine because it surrounds and covers the groove, but worry the new seal may leak. If there are different quality seals available, what is the name of the best ones and where are they sold? Here on iboats?
Thanks,
JBJ

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1950's johnson l.u. seal questions

To begin, the old seals are probably not made any more. In many cases, the newer ones are made differently, not necessarily better nor worse. And the OEM ones are probably different than the aftermarket ones. Sometimes you can "adjust" the position of the seal to avoid the lip running in the groove.

wbeaton

Commander

I've had good luck with both Sierra and OMC seals. If the groove around the prop shaft is too deep you won't get a good seal.

You can get the seal kits from lots of places online. I'm sure you could also get them here at iboats.

jbjennings

Captain

Thanks for the info...Oddly enough it's not the propshaft but the driveshaft that's grooved. It doesn't look like the type of groove made by seal wear, but almost as if it was cut on purpose for like a c-clip or something. I'm also wondering if someone can stainless steel weld it if need be and take it back down in a lathe, or will the weld not be hard enough to withstand a seal?
Have the same problem on my one mercury but think I may have found a brand new shaft for it. Any ideas?
Thanks,
JBJ

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The groove is from the seal wear. I understand there are guys that can fix them, but have never tried it.

wbeaton

Commander

Sorry, I didn't catch that it was the driveshaft not the prop shaft. I you can't avoid the groove with the new seal then I'd look for another driveshaft or see if a machine shop can repair it. No sense destroying the new seal and obviously the old seal wasn't working anymore.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Generally the worn areas on OMC shafts are clean with no burrs or rust.OMC used good quality metal back then.So a new seal generally will be OK.

If you are really concerned,go to a bearing supply house and investigate "Ready Sleaves"

DHP