Starting fluid 1991 200hp johnson

JESSIELSMALL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i wrote first thinking there was no fire, but i sprayed starter fluid in and it started right up, but when i push the choke in or lift the red lever and bypass the fuel solenoid, without using the starter fluid, the engine turns but will not start. any ideas on what is going on

Xcusme

Commander
Re: Starting fluid 1991 200hp johnson

Jessie, Stop using the starting fluid.....there's NO lubrication in it. It tends to wash what little oil there is off of the cylinder walls. Use fuel mix in a spray bottle instead.

Edit: Just noticed, you posted to http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=107644

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if it starts with a manual prime, fluid, then there is a fuel problem, sucking air, stuck float needles, fuel pump, bad primer bulb, fuel tank vent clogged, and on and on.

JESSIELSMALL

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if it starts with a manual prime, fluid, then there is a fuel problem, sucking air, stuck float needles, fuel pump, bad primer bulb, fuel tank vent clogged, and on and on.

if you have time can you eloborate on each, sucking air, stuck float needles.
primer bulb gets tight and i can feel fuel going through bulb. havent checked fuel vent, but will. i pulled the top fuel hose to the carburator and pushed the key in and it shoot out aboout a 1/2 second burst then stopped is this normal. i have seen post where guys say they hold their choke in for 8 to 10 seconds, if the fuel stops flowing after a 1/2 second what is the purpose of holding it in 8 seconds

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sucking air, and air leak in the fuel line, orings, in the connectors, worn hoses, the carb has a float in each carb, with a needle attached, that opens and closes to allow fuel into the carbs. when you push the key in it activates the primer solinoid, the motor does not have a choke, pull the hose on the side of the carbs and pump the bulb and see if you get gas, what do your plugs look like.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you push in the choke AND turn the motor over it keeps pumping fuel into the motor, On demand type thing. The crank turns and it creates a "sucktion" It only stops when you dont turn the motor over.

Starting Fluid is going to tear your motor up so bad you will need to buy another motor VERY SOON. I dont know how many times you have used it to start with but I bet you have taken over 100 hrs of running time out of the motor already.

Your carbs need some work, maybe a rebuild and you should decarb it as well.

If you have fuel to the carbs but it wont pull any fuel from the carbs then there is something wrong in the CARBS.

I would hate to see you toast your motor.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Before getting into the carbs too far, why not test the primer? The primer squirts fuel into the manifold in place of a choke. If it is plugged up or not working, you'll have the issue you've got. Being that the motor seems to run well otherwise (aside from the starting fluid) it may be as simple as cleaning the primer. Try removing the out-flow hoses from the primer and then turning the motor over while pushing the key in to prime it. If a small jet of fuel exits the primer nubs, then it is working. Make sure the hoses themselves aren't plugged, too, by blowing through them. Primer's red handle should be parallel to the primer body.
- Scott