2000 115 Johnson Seized!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishonbaby

Cadet
Good Morning Boaters. I Need Some Friendly Advice. Yesterday My Boat Cuts Off And When I Tried Starting It The Starter Wouldn't Engage. In The Past The Starter Would Make A Grinding Noise Before It Cranked Over. I Also Noticed That Alot Of White Smoke was emmoying When Im Idling And Lately Ive Been Burning Alot Of Gas And Oil. I Tried Jumping The Starter No Luck. After Getting Towed Back I Tried To Hand Spin The Prop And It Wouldn't Turn! Am I In Trouble? Please Assist.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 115 Johnson Seized!

Don't know yet. Pull the cover off the flywheek, remove the plugs and see if it'll turn over by hand. If it does, take compression. We'll go from there.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

No other suggestions. Do what Dhadley said. That is step # 1.

fishonbaby

Cadet

I knew it. Engine seized! Took off the cover and the Bearing, Coil, Piston, rod binded. There goes the rest of my season. I would still like to know what caused this!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

drop the lower unit. then retry to turn flywheel. this will determine if the power head or the lower unit is seized.

fishonbaby

Cadet

Took a look yesterday and one of the pistons was cracked and alot of metal flakes at the bottom. Tried to turn the flywheel and wouldn't turn all the way. As I looked further the tie rod was broken in two. Will probably take the boat out of the water this weekend and bust the motor down to see what other damage was done. Someone told me that over reving, or fuel/oil ratio is the problem? What do you think?

fishonbaby

Cadet

They look like it were melted. Approx. 20 pieces 1/4 in in size.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If the rod broke there's some possible causes but it'll have to come apart to find out exactly. One thing that can happen is that a cylinder will run lean to the point that the piston sticks. That piston stops moving and the other 5 keep going and since the one piston doesn't move but the crank does, the rod may break.

Another scenario is that the rod bearing failed. That also can end up in a rod breaking.

There are other possibilities too. Let's get it apart and see what we got.

fishonbaby

Cadet

Howard Beach NY. I'll break it down this weekend and keep you posted. Thanks for all your advice.

fishonbaby

Cadet

I broke down the motor yesterday and found out that the connecting rod broke, and the journal on the lower part of the crankshaft is no good. Need new crankshaft. Don't want to spend $700 on a new one. Should I go used or rebuilt, and do anyone know who rebuids these, or where I could get a used one?

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

Powerheads are available, here on iboats.

Before you slap a powerhead on there, you need to know what caused the rod to break. My guess is lack of lube due to a faulty carburetor.

Con rods rarely just snap. Something on either end of it was putting undue stress on it.

fishonbaby

Cadet

Not sure but the oil alarm got disconnected by accident and when I checked the oil res it looked like the oil was not mixing properly could that be it?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Not sure but the oil alarm got disconnected by accident and when I checked the oil res it looked like the oil was not mixing properly could that be it?

The oil mixing system, called OMS, on your motor pre-mixes the gas and oil inside the fuel pump, then delivers the gas-oil to each carb equally. That way each carb gets the same fuel oil mix just like if you premixed the gas yourself.

If the other cylinders and bearings look good, then it was NOT an oil delivery problem from the OMS pump. Most likely it was a lean running cylinder from a carb jet partially gummed up or clogged, a hot spot in the cooling system, or detonation or water intrusion in the damaged cylinder.

A bad powerpack that "double fired" could be the culprit also.

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Powerheads are available, here on iboats.

Before you slap a powerhead on there, you need to know what caused the rod to break. My guess is lack of lube due to a faulty carburetor.

Con rods rarely just snap. Something on either end of it was putting undue stress on it.

A new powerhead doesn't come with a new carburetor? What difference does it make what caused the problem if everything is being replaced? I know nothing about these things?

SparkieBoat

Captain

he can get a used motor 2000 or newer for around 2K..keep the old one for parts..I bypassed the OMS/VRO on all of my motors and premix. but there were several other reasons mentioned that could have been the problem also. He mentioned that he knew something was wrong with the motor but continued to use it ( I Also Noticed That Alot Of White Smoke was emmoying When Im Idling And Lately Ive Been Burning Alot Of Gas And Oil. ) this should be a lesson to all, if its not running right get back to the ramp slowly and find out whats up..possibly could have been prevented with a simple carb cleaning.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Why are we digging up a 2 year old thread? Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.