Adding a tell-tale to '76 Evinrude 70hp

philobite

Cadet
I'd like to add a tell-tale to my motor. Where would I tap the hole, what size and what fitting (and thread#) would go there?

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Adding a tell-tale to '76 Evinrude 70hp

I just posted my pictures in iwombats thread on tell-tails. Its just above this thread. Mine was a 1977 rude 70hp.

philobite

Cadet

rudedude: Perfect! Thanks. Your motor is a spittin' image of mine.

Do you have X/Y location coordinates so I wouldn't have to pull the head to locate the tap?

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is so close in there I thinks its better to pull the head. You need to see how much space you have to work with in there, Its close .

I didnt want to take a chance of touching the cylender wall.

Any way the head gasket is only 16.99 on iboats, and you get to see whats going on in the piston area.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

this might help - :

reloctt.jpg

telltaleSB.jpg

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I seen that application on a newer Johnson but looking at it the point where they say to put it is lower than the head area. I decided to put mine there because I wanted to make sure there wasent any air trapped in the high point. Might be wrong but I like where I put mine.

iwombat

Captain

I think the only thing you need to be concerned about with locating in the head is making sure it's back a ways from the head surface. And, making sure you don't torque down on the fitting too hard. Either one of those can bulge the mating surface. Same issue exists on the block side though.