How to check oil level on OMC 1.6L?

bucaroff

Recruit
Hello Everyone, I recently purchased a 78 Bayliner with a 94 OMC 1.6 Liter Outboard and am having a had time trying to find the oil dip stick or any way to check/change the oil. Is there anyone out there that can help me?

Thanks in advance, Dan from Sunny San Diego.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How to check oil level on OMC 1.6L?

Howdy, Dan.

Welcome to iboats. :)

First: Are you sure this is an outboard engine? 1994 outboard engines are 2 stroke engines that are lubricated by the oil that is mixed with the gasoline either when filling the fuel tank or in the fuel pump. There is no oil sump or dipstick, but you need to be sure that there is oil in the oil tank, if you have one. It should have a level indicator on the cap.

There is oil in the foot. It is 90W oil similar to differential oil used in cars. On the side of the foot there are two plugs with screw driver slots. The upper one is the vent and the lower one, called the drain, is used both to drain and fill the gearcase. The vent must be open to do either.

You need to get yourself an Owners Manual and a Service Manual and read both carefully before doing anything. That will give you the terminology and theory of the engine. Then you will be able to ask us any new questions.

Good luck. :)

bucaroff

Recruit

Thanks so much JB for the reply. That would make sense that it is lubricated through the gas. I just wanted to be on the safe side. I am not having any luck finding a owner's manual or repair manual for this old engine. I seen one on eBay, but it is for the wrong year. Let me know if you know of anyone who would be willing to sell me one. Thanks again, Dan

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

The best way to know would be to call Evinrude. If you haven't added oil to the gas in awhile then you may have already done some damage. Also, the oil in the lower unit or 'foot' has nothing to do with the engine lubrication just to clarify that. It only lubricates the gears in the lower unit, and will not stop you from burning up your engine if you don't add oil to your gas. You'd better make sure you know what you are doing before taking her out again. That's the last thing you want to do is run out of oil.

The oil will be in a separate container. You will have to fill it with Outboard Engine 2 cycle oil that has been TCW3 certified. If you just fill it with regular chain saw oil or something like that you will damage your engine. I can't believe the person you bought the boat from didn't tell you about the oil addition. If it was a dealer then they can be held liable. It's a law here, as I'm sure it is in Commiefornia, that the dealer has to make sure you know how to properly operate and fuel the engine before leaving the lot. Here they make you sign a piece of paper saying everything has been explained to you.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

That manual should be available at your dealer or here on iboats i believe. Im sure he hasnt run the motor yet, or gotten past the first tank or his post would be, where do I find a new power head? ;)

bucaroff

Recruit

Thanks for the replies LuckyinKentucy and HighTrim. I was instructed by the seller that I needed to add 2 Stroke Oil directly to the gas tank after every fillup(50 to 1 ratio). I have been doing that, but wanted to make sure that I was not missing anything. I will continue my hunt for a repair manual, right now eBay is my only option as no one else carries such an old item.

Thanks, Dan from San Diego

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

Better yet .... add the oil BEFORE you fill up so that the oil mixes well with the gas as it goes in. ;)

iwombat

Captain

outboardbooks.com will have all the manuals for your motor. You'll need to supply the model number as printed on the port side of your transom bracket.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

1994 old???? Hell that ain't broke in yet.