Rebuilding a Tilt/Trim Motor

wavegod

Recruit
Hi all, 2nd boat, first post. 76 70hp Evinrude - tilt/motor not working anymore. I purchased a rebuild kit inc cap and brushes but she wont spin when connnected to the battery after the rebuild. Is there any tricks to rebuilding these - its a 2 cylinder - 3 wire trim motor. Is this something that I should take somewhere to have rebuilt and If I do what can I expect to pay. Paid 75.00 for the kit...In the meantime I have drained most of the fluid from the resevoir and tilt the motor up with a 2x4 - my marine guy says i can still run the boat without tilt, just need to secure up when entering/exiting the water. It runs best trimmed all the way down anyway. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rebuilding a Tilt/Trim Motor

Welcome. First of all, is the motor working? If it doesnt, check the battery and connections, make sure they are good before proceeding. Trim switch in and out or trim up. Does the solenoid in connection box click? IF it does, remove motor from manifold and run motor off manifold. Does the motor run now, you need to check the pump. If it doesnt, the motor is still no good. Back to the solenoid. If it does not operate (does not click), check the inline 20 amp fuse, Ill bet its blown. After that check the switch. Then check the wiring to ensure it is correct. I will supply a wiring diagram. Do you have a manual?

Trim wiring.jpg