1965 speedifour 75 HP Evinrude

akican

Cadet
I just cleaned the carburetor, needle, float look OK. Reassemble the carburetor and start up the engine without any problems. Today, I do a run test in the water for 15 minutes, and speed is good. But after the first stop, the engine cannot be started with either choke on or auto. Struggling for half hour, somehow it started and I am able to get her back to shore. At home, I took out all four spark plugs and all of them are wet. Clean them and install them back, and it still did not start. But this time I saw the fuel came out the water inlet/outlet opening located at the propeller area. Does the engine have a serious leak within the cylinder sothat the fuel came out that way instead of going into compression chamber. Please advice. Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1965 speedifour 75 HP Evinrude

ot sounds like the float needle is stuck open. that's where i would go 1st.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Unburned fuel needs to go somewhere, and the exhaust is the place it is funneled to. Check to make sure you have good spark on all four cylinders, and then check the carb inlet needle and float height.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When you stated you cleaned the carb, how did you do that? Did you blow the passages out with compressed air? Did you disassemble everything? If not, there may still be something lurking inside.

akican

Cadet

I took the carburetor apart and clean it with GUM carburetor can. Blow it good with compression air. Previously, the boat had exactly the same problem therefore I decided to take the carburetor apart to clean it. It is really confuse me now because when it runs it runs on every click. Please advice.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The gas is running out because it isn't being burned. There is either too much gas, or no spark to ignite it.

You have one of two problems:
1: The carburetor is flooding over due to a leaking float valve
OR
2: You have inadequate ignition (spark).

My money is on #2.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I trust the gas tank vent is open. Does the primer bulb lose pressure after your 15 minute ride or after sitting for a few minutes?

akican

Cadet

I did not check that. Is it possible to check that without the engine running by priming the bulb to get pressure and let it sit there to see if the pressure get loosse over time. Today I try to start it with the choke fully opened and the throttle valve open half way. First start, it is backfire once, and the second ignition it runs only for couple second. Please give me some idea to tackle this problem.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pump up the bulb until it's hard then push the start lever all the way farward, put the choke on for a cold start and crank. It should start and fast idle. Pull the start lever back, put into gear and enjoy. When restarting warm you won't need the choke but mine likes the fast idle. I find when I change tanks and tilt the motor I have problems starting. I usually let the engine sit in the down position for a while and it starts with just the starting lever advanced.