HELP!! Carb. / choke /timing settings 1986 50 HP Evinrude --->

jnaarnold

Seaman
OK guys, if you've read my other thread in here, I have finally got to water test my boat...a 1986 Starcraft 16' Jon. I have gone through the carbs. I thoroughly cleaned them and checked the float/levels. I took the boat out friday night, it just seemed like it was loading up, then if I stayed in the throttle, it would clear up and go. I went out tonight and moved what I think is the choke solenoid lever, a red lever on a solenoid, on the opposite side of the starter motor. (I might not be real clear on my terminology, I work more on cars than boats.) Anyway, if I move the lever to the left(if you are facing it) to say the nine o'clock position the motor runs really really rough, but will clear up and reall run great near wide open throttle. If I move the lever to the eleven o'clock posistion I can almost get a decent idle and still retain good top end. Id I move it straight up or anywhere from twelve o'clock to three o'clock, it will idle great but when I give it the throttle, it accelerates for a brief couple of seconds, then just max's out, almost like it falls on it's face. It will not pick back up either, like it's completely not going to go any faster, maybe 3-4,000 rpm's, maybe. Where is that lever supposed to be pointing?
Second question, I have a manual and still I am not clear on this. The two hash marks(white) on the throttle indicate what? Also, there is a rod, with a threaded end, a nut and a thumb nut to adjust where these line line up with a roller guide. Can someone explain--please-- where and why these are to line up? Thanks. I have read countless posts, and have done a lot of research, just sometimes, to get a fresh or personal perspective is all it takes to clear things up. Thanks for all the help guys...you're awesome. I look forward to the replies.
John

Attachments

• P1010015a.jpg
    P1010015a.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 4

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: HELP!! Carb. / choke /timing settings 1986 50 HP Evinrude --->

the red lever is the control on the primer. in my pictures is the run postion, and pushing in the key activates it. they position you have it in, it is letting additional fuel into the intake. i don't have a manual for your motor so i can't tell you the exact link N sinc.

Attachments

• primer.jpg
    primer.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 3
  • timing mark.jpg
    timing mark.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 3

jnaarnold

Seaman

When I was out taking pictures of the engine I notice that on the side of the upper carb where the fuel pump is, there is a line(small one) that goes to the top of the carb, where there is a small nipple, the other end of that line goes to the choke solenoid, well it has a crack in it...what does that line do? Also, are you saying that for run, the lever needs to be vertical(12 oclock)? Also, pushing in the key activates it? Not sure what that means...sorry for the complete ignorance, but thanks for your help.
John

jnaarnold

Seaman

Also, what does this primer/choke thing do? What do the two line from it to the carbs carry? Fuel? Would this cause the running out of fuel problem on the throttle or the cracked line from it to the carbs? Thanks again.
John

jnaarnold

Seaman

OK, I went out this morning, getting all gas smelly before getting ready for church...not in good with the wife....hopefully I'll make that up with a cruise on the lake with her after church. Anyway, I removed the fuel line and pumped the bulb, it got pretty firm. I hooked it back up and I could hear air and then saw/smelled fuel. Upon further investigation I saw the fuel pump, which is not mounted, hence it is missing the lower two bolts, was leaking, and it was leaking pretty good. The reason I didn't see it on the boat trip yesterday is I was on the opposite side of the engine the whole time. So, I put two bolts, with nuts, in it...and it still leaked. So, I took it apart and found the diagram was misposistioned. I repaired that and reassembled. Pumped the bulb, and wallah!!! It gets firm and stays firm. Now, a question, would this cause the problem I was having(read earlier posts in this thread)??
thanks again guys!!

tashasdaddy

very possible. fuel goes from the pump to the carbs and to the primer, when the primer is activated, it shoots gas thru the 2 hoses, at the back of the carb, directly into the intake. thus adding more fuel to the mix, the same thing the old choke butterfly did. it's just like squirting gas into the carb.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

When the fuel pump bolts are not tight, it means that the membrane that causes the pump to pulse is not tight and possibly torn.Of course it can be the cause of your trouble.
Is your engine one with the early VRO or has it been replaced to a second or third generation VRO?
Or has the VRO been removed and replaced by a traditional fuel pump?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The red lever on the primer solenoid serves as a manual choke should the need arise to pull start the engine or should the solenoid itself fail. If that should happen there would be no way to "prime" (choke) the engine to get it started. So you flip the red lever, squeeze the primer bulb a few times and start the engine. As soon as it starts however, you need to flip the lever back to close off the flow of fuel through the primer lines (the small lines you mentioned).

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Amazing how one lever can cause so much confusion.

Thanks Tashasdaddy I've been trying to get a clear answer on this for awhile.
Filp, turn, over the top? have been common replies regarding this lever.Your picture is perfect.

So,final answer, standing on the side with the solenoid on it, like in your picture......

The red lever should be......Pointing up, at twelve o'clock for normal operation. Correct?

The red lever should be.............Pointing left, at nine o'clock for manual priming,i.e. using the bulb on the fuel line.Correct?

Fish On!:)

jnaarnold

Seaman

Well, took it out again today....still no good! I have to have the choke lever in the posistion of my picture. It still loads up at idle, until I give it the throttle, then she clears up and takes off. Why!?! I am so baffled. If I put the lever to the unchoked posisition and ajdust idle accordingly, I have to push the key in(prime activated I suppose). It has some throttle but not much. Then as the throttle is open, it has no power if I push the key in it takes off like a shot of nitrous!! So, I now know I am running out of fuel. But where?? Is it related to the engine problem(in this thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=214726 ) ? I am almost ready to give up. Please help.

tashasdaddy

to clarify the confusion, the lever should be where the yellow mark is for the normal function. this is the run position, and if you need to enrichen the fuel during starting you pushing on the key. in the picture the red lever is in the manual postion and the fuel pump is adding fuel into the intake.

normal operating in where the yellow mark is.

if you are still having to push the primer to get the engine to go, there is a fuel restriction somewhere, it may be the fuel pump. see your new post.

Attachments

• primer.jpg
    primer.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

edit

Last edited:

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW! The yellow mark in the picture I get it now. Like 2 to 3 o'clock I was so obviously confused thanks. Over the top makes sense now.

You have cleared this up for all of us Tashasdaddy.:)

Fish On!

jnaarnold

Seaman

Well, I replaced all fuel lines, all of them. I squeezed the bulb and it got firm fast. More firm than in the past. I turned the key and pressed the key in(for prime) twice. It started up, ran for a few seconds than quit. It did this several times. I finally got it to run only by pushing the key in to get fuel to it. So, I decided to pull the fuel line off the upper carb, and crank the engine. Fuel spit out the fuel line. I am really at a loss here!! I have since pulled the carbs back off to go through them again, they are EXTREMELY clean. What am I missing guys? Here's some pics inside the carb.

- Is that bar in the middle of that tube supposed to be to the side like that? It is the same in both carbs.
- Could these be the wrong carbs?
- Could the problem be a vacuum leak somewhere?
HELP:)

Attachments

• P1010005a.jpg
    P1010005a.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1
  • P1010002a.jpg
    P1010002a.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tashasdaddy

the tube shoud be center, and line up with the hole in the bottom, that is the high speed pickup.

jnaarnold

Seaman

So is my carb wrong?? should that be straightened? Could that be the problem?

Kettler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you move the red lever to the 2 o'clock position as tashasdaddy yellow mark pointed out in the picture, to the 2'oclock position?

navgunner69

Recruit

Well, I replaced all fuel lines, all of them. I squeezed the bulb and it got firm fast. More firm than in the past. I turned the key and pressed the key in(for prime) twice. It started up, ran for a few seconds than quit. It did this several times. I finally got it to run only by pushing the key in to get fuel to it. So, I decided to pull the fuel line off the upper carb, and crank the engine. Fuel spit out the fuel line. I am really at a loss here!! I have since pulled the carbs back off to go through them again, they are EXTREMELY clean. What am I missing guys? Here's some pics inside the carb.

- Is that bar in the middle of that tube supposed to be to the side like that? It is the same in both carbs.
- Could these be the wrong carbs?
- Could the problem be a vacuum leak somewhere?
HELP:)

Ok im new here and have the same engine and same problem. I have a new fuel pump new choke,(red lever in correct place). carbs have been rebuilt and are very clean. Engine dies out at wide open throttle unless key choke is pushed in. The only thing I can see is that my high end pick up tubes in the carbs are moved over like in the pic on this thread. Im to understand that is wrong and they should be center? how do i move them to center? without damaging them. Im at a total loss on this engine for sure. Tks for all the help.