1972 Johnson 65

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1972 65 HP Johnson Hydro Electric OB. I got this motor for free with a boat and it started a few years ago once before I removed it from the boat and stored it for 2 years. I have re-mounted the motor and now I cant get ti to do anything....no noise..no nothing when I turned the key. I have the manual and it appears that the forward/neutral/reverse switch (in the controller) is broken.

Is there a way to bypass the switch so I can start the engine? I just want to make sure that it fires up before spending any money it.

Thanks.

-JMW

ps...anybody know of any cheap places for parts?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 1972 Johnson 65

There is a 20 amp fuse that comes off one side of the starter solenoid that provides power to the switch. That could cause your problem. But to answer your question you can run a jumper cable from the + side of the battery directly to the starter. Of course turn the key on to start it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if that doesn't work. un plug it, and jump the starter, this take the control out of the system. you will have to choke it to stop it.

JustMrWill

Thanks for the replies.
I bypassed the starter solenoid and the started spun. I didn't want to run the engine yet..I still have plugs, lower unit gear oil and impeller to change before I fire it up.

I have been searching...and someone wired in a 3-way switch and just manually flipped the switch when they changed gears. I may try this as a temp fix until I can get the part.

Gonna have to study the wiring diagrams tonight to see how to wire it.

-JMW

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are several controls on ebay that will work with your motor. you want the hydro electric controler. take the prop off when testing, as it starts in forward, don't want any cut legs.

JustMrWill

I've been reading tons of posts about the switch going etc. Most say to START the engine and try X, Y or Z. I can't start the engine. I am assuming that the switch being broken (and possibly set to reverse at the time it physically broke) that the neutral safety shutoff would be engaged (starting circuit open). Is this a safe assumption? Or should I be looking at a different reason for it not doing anything when I turn the key?

I just don't want to be chasing something that is not the cause of the problem.

Thanks again for the responses.

-JMW

JustMrWill

Update:

I found 2 things that were preventing it from starting -

1. Safety switch (on motor next to throttle linkage) was not fully engaged.

2. Shift switch (in control) needed "broken piece" to be pushed in to make contact (power from purple wire to green wire).

I am going to make a manual switch to control forward/neutral/reverse (3 way off/one on/both on) and hook up the green and blue wires to that. From what I read Both on = reverse, one on one off = neutral and both off = forward.

Thanks for the suggestions again. I hope this thread helps someone else with the same problem.

Once I have the plugs changed and the lower gear oil changed I am going to fire her up...I am sure I will be back with more questions then. (this is my first OB so it is all new to me).

-JMW