Just got a vintage 2.5 Johnson want to restore

Hey there Folks.

New to Forum, and in looking around it appears there is alot of great info here.
Just bought a 2.5 Johnson Outboard Model HD-25 Ser#636287 from a friend at work. He got it from his Dad who got it from......well you know the story.
He says it ran great the last time he used it 5 years ago. Been upright in Garage ever since. Unfortunately it has gas in it. He said he always put Sea Foam it with the oil/gas.
Any advice on how to test it at this time ?
Should I clean the Carb, jets Float etc before even trying to fire it up ?
I will clean the tank best I can. I would like to restore it to original cosmetic appearance if possible. I'm going to use it on my 17' We-no-nah Fisherman up at my Lakehouse here in Southeast Minnesota. It should put it along alright enough

Thanks again !!
Dave E.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Just got a vintage 2.5 Johnson want to restore

Howdy, Dave.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Go to the Engine FAQs and read about bringing a sleeper back to life.

Sweet little engine. HD-25 is a 1946-1950 model. It uses a 24:1 fuel mix, Champion J6C plug gapped at .030" and points set at .020".

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Hope you dont want to plane the 17'er!

I have 4 of those HD-25's but have never tried to get one going yet. I hear parts are hard to come by. Definitely clean out the old gas/carb, it'll really stink probably. Let us know how it goes.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You need to "discover" the Antique Outboard Motor Club, aomci.org You will find all kinds of information and advice on their Ask-A-Member forum. You will also find sources for obsolete parts, decals, paint and whatever. And they have a free Webvertize want-ad page where you can find missing parts.