1929 Johnson 3HP A-45 cooling question

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
Hi,

Does the above motor have a water pump?
It looks to me as the prop wash is forced into the water cooling area. Its hard to run in a barrel and keep it cooled. Also removing prop caused it to heat up even more. Before I pull the lower unit I wanted to make sure there was a pump inside. My gut says no pump .....

Bill

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1929 Johnson 3HP A-45 cooling question

I'm old, but that is even older. I think it has a piston type pump with some check valves...maybe. I certainly does not have a water pump of the type we think of today.

You need to ask over at the Antique Outboard Club's Ask-A-Member website aomci.org

Some of those guys eat these things for breakfast.

wbeaton

Commander

That machine is too old for me too, but I believe I may have once read that it needs to be moving through the water in order to cool it and not to run it in a barrel. As for how it cools I have no real idea. I've never had one apart.

Definately post on the AOMCI.com "ask a member" site.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

That machine is too old for me too, but I believe I may have once read that it needs to be moving through the water in order to cool it and not to run it in a barrel. As for how it cools I have no real idea. I've never had one apart.

Definately post on the AOMCI.com "ask a member" site.

I have the engine that is in your picture for parts if you need any.

billr982

Recruit

Hi,

Does the above motor have a water pump?
It looks to me as the prop wash is forced into the water cooling area. Its hard to run in a barrel and keep it cooled. Also removing prop caused it to heat up even more. Before I pull the lower unit I wanted to make sure there was a pump inside. My gut says no pump .....

Bill
There is no water pump on that motor, you are correct the prop wash is forced up through the engine.