rebuilding engine ? do i grease all the parts. use gasket sealer?

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class
have my engine down to bare block installing new internal parts. do i grease them and do i use permatex gasket sealer? there was no kind of oil or gresse on any parts as i tore it apart. how the engine runs without oil is beyound me.what oil should i use before installing pistons? should i grease the cycilinder walls also. is there a spray lube i can use to grease all the parts? lot of questions for such a small mind as mine lol

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: rebuilding engine ? do i grease all the parts. use gasket sealer?

Use 2-stroke oil and coat the parts, don't use sealer on new gaskets unless the machine surfaces are damaged.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

FYI,the crankcase needs to be joined with a gel seal,I know OMC sold their own,surely someone else makes it too,you didnt mention it so I wanted to ,ive seen some big mistakes by people that got that part wrong

Dennisanoka

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you use an anaerobic sealer and prep spray before joining the crankcase halves back together? Or what did you end up using to seal the case halves back together?

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class

the motor is just back from the machine shop. was no need in braking the block apart. during reassembly. the gasket set says nothing about sealers. been a practice of mine in all mechanical parts as cars and so on to use permatex. my question is no or yes. and what sealer to use. pretty simple question.?

Molaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the motor is just back from the machine shop. was no need in braking the block apart. during reassembly. the gasket set says nothing about sealers. been a practice of mine in all mechanical parts as cars and so on to use permatex. my question is no or yes. and what sealer to use. pretty simple question.?
One reason for not getting your "simple question" answered is that different components require different types of sealers. If you don't have a service manual, get one. Even my cheapie Seloc manual describes where and what needs gasket sealer and what kind of gasket sealer. The manual will also explain how a 2-cycle engine works and is lubricated.