Symptoms of bad "Power Pack" ?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Symptoms of bad "Power Pack" ?

usually engine will run rough, what motor ? Symptoms? YOu'll wanna diagnose this one right bc power packs are generally not cheap.

1985 Evinrude 115 Motor.

We took it out to a lake near by and it ran fine for about 20 minutes, then it suddenly died. We tried to start it again and it tried to fire a couple of times but died. After getting a lift back to the dock it would start but only run for a few minutes. By the time we got back home it would run fine again.

It was suggested by a boat dealer that I called on the phone that it might be the Power Pack, however, you never know how much knowlege people have, I thought I'd try and get some more info.

77Lark

Seaman

I'm replacing my power pack tomorrow. We'll see if it was my problem. I had about 50 posts on here troubleshoot my ignition. If you search for 77Lark you might get an idea.

I'll post my findings tomorrow.

Adam

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Bad powerpack -that is exactly what I would expect if the motor died like that because it would knock out two cylinders and shut you down under load.

Then you get home and start it up with no load on the engine and wonder.

I think you should ask the guy to explain what caused it to happen, and if the explanation is plausible, you better hire him.

BTW, You may want to have someone check your rectifier to make sure that it is still charging. If you want to check it yourself, put a voltmeter on the battery with the engine off and take a reading. Then take a reading at the battery with the engine running and make sure that it is higher.

We're hoping to be able to fix whatever it is ourselves, as everywhere around here is booked full, and it wouldn't cost so much then. Is that a possibility or does a professional need to do it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Its harder to diagnose than to fix, but it sure does sound like your problem. If you search 77larks thread like he said, i had a PP test in there you may want to try, follow his thread.

77Lark

Seaman

Knock out two cyl.? Mine has no spark on all four. Is that normal?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

testing for electrical, several pages here. C & P without the "

"http://www.boatpartstore.com/page28.asp"

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

To 77Lark: The 80's 115HP motor has two powerpacks, one for each bank of cylinders.

So is everyone in agreence that this is my problem, or are there other theories?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It could have overheated and locked up.

The flywheel could be loose.

The fuel pump could be bad.

You could have water in your tank.

Your ignition coils could be bad.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Gasoline floats on water. The fuel pickup line is at the bottom of the tank.

Ic, I was just curious, cuz I don't think they changed out the gas since we've gotten the boat, which means that it's running old gas. I didn't know if that would have caused the problem.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

yes, bad gas will make it run badly - before you start throwing parts at it, do this:

1. compression test - you want the lowest to be within 10% of the highest.
2. spark test - set your tester at 7/16" look for strong blue spark.
3. cylinder drop test - engine idling, pull then reconnect the spark plug leads, one at a time. if RPM's don't decrease noticeably, that cylinder's not making power. Use a spark plug boot tool to avoid electro-shock therapy, or ask someone you don't like very much to help out.
4. make sure the fuel line is holding pressure.
5. make sure the fuel tank vent is clear.
6. inspect fuel lines, look for old, stiff, cracking hoses.
7. listen closely for the sound of sucking air at all the fittings while someone pumps up the primer bulb.

report your results.

I will pass along to suggestions and let you know what we find out. Thank you so much.