What does the "Power Pack" do?

unhip_crayon

Seaman
Re: What does the "Power Pack" do?

Ive searched and could not find anything. I would also like to know what it does

Molaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Being simplistic, it's like the electronic ignition on your car. It creates a pulse of current to the coil which, in turn, transforms that current into a high voltage pulse up around 30,000 volts. Kazap!!

Xcusme

Commander

In very general terms....a power pack is an ignition component that supplies voltage to the motors coils, which fire the spark plugs. The power pack receives A/C voltage from a coil under the spinning flywheel and converts this A/C voltage into D/C voltage. It stores this voltage until it receives a signal from another , under flywheel coil, to alternately power both cylinder coils, firing each spark plug. All of these voltages and trigger signals have to be happen at the right time and sequence for the motor to run.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Magnets in the spinning flywheel generate about 300 volts of electricity in two or three coils, called charge coils. The charge coils are connected to the power pack, where the 300 volts is stored in a capacitor. There also is a SCR (silicon controlled rectifier) in the power pack for each cylinder. The SCR is sort of an electronic on-off switch if you will. There are sensor coils under the flywheel also, with their own magnets to energize them. As the magnets pass by the sensor coils, a weak voltage is generated in them. That weak voltage is supplied to the SCRs in the power pack. Each time a SCR receives a voltage of the proper polarity from it's sensor coil, it turns "on", and discharges the 300 volts stored in the capacitor through the primary winding of it's associated ignition coil. As that 300 volts surges through the primary winding, it causes a very high voltage in the secondary winding through the process known as induction. The very high voltage is applied to the spark plug where it jumps a gap as sort of a mini-lightning stroke.

Molaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The 1st guy doesn't stand a chance...:)

Last edited:

77Lark

Seaman

Poor Molaker...

Someone had to go first!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

"As that 300 volts surges through the primary winding, it causes a very high voltage in the secondary winding..." could I suggest that it's not the 300 volts in the primary winding, so much as the absence of it, that induces the high voltage?

sounds like the perfect time to piggyback a question onto this thread.............is it the capacitor discharge that powers the primary coils? I have a troubleshooting guide that tells me to measure peak AC output from the powerpack and I've been wondering why that is, since everybody knows AC can't be stored in a capacitor...........

Molaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The capaciator is charged to roughly 300 volts DC. Which simply means it has stored a bunch of electrons. When the SCR is fired it causes the capacitor to discharge through the coil's primary winding as a short pulse of current. The rest of the time, the coil's primary effectively has no current. It takes a peak reading AC meter to read the voltage. Otherwise, the voltage level would be averaged for a reading which would be very low. The term AC can be somewhat misleading in that AC is short for alternating current. Which implies current flowing back and forth in opposing directions. The current from the power pack only flows in one direction. But, if you reference the measurement of that current as being the average level, the current does go in opposing directions past that point - thus AC.

could I suggest that it's not the 300 volts in the primary winding, so much as the absence of it, that induces the high voltage?
Could I suggest, it's not so much the absence of the 300 volts in the primary winding as it is the sudden decrease in current caused by the SCR shutting off. The magnetic field generated by the current through the primary ... Oh never mind. Supper's ready.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The coil primary "sees" it as half a wave of AC. Oh never mind, the coil windings are actually a transformer. Transformers work on CHANGING current/voltages. First there is nothing, then it rises to a peak, then falls back to nothing. That CHANGE is what induces the secondary voltage.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Do you think Erin Marie is confused yet?? lol Might have to go back to grade 12 science notes to look up induction ;)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

The capaciator is charged to roughly 300 volts DC. Which simply means it has stored a bunch of electrons. When the SCR is fired it causes the capacitor to discharge through the coil's primary winding as a short pulse of current. The rest of the time, the coil's primary effectively has no current. It takes a peak reading AC meter to read the voltage. Otherwise, the voltage level would be averaged for a reading which would be very low. The term AC can be somewhat misleading in that AC is short for alternating current. Which implies current flowing back and forth in opposing directions. The current from the power pack only flows in one direction. But, if you reference the measurement of that current as being the average level, the current does go in opposing directions past that point - thus AC.

you have no idea what a relief it is to finally understand that.

thanks!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Id say so, but i have you down in my little black book as someone to PM if i have any electrical problems, lol

Hey, I'm just the messenger, I just find the information and forward it onto the guys, and I'm about 99% sure they'll understand all of it. :) Thank you all.