1975 johnson 40hp outboard motor flooded?

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer
took the boat out today got it to the water ran good at low idle. then i got out of the no wake zone. i gave it all she had. we were going at a good pace. got about half way across the lake then the engine spit and sputtered and stalled out. tried to start it back up again and it turned over but didnt start. so i took the cover off the motor and had my friend try to start it. it didnt start so i told him to stop trying. when he turned the key to the off position gas shot out of the carb. what would that mean im thinking flooded. how would i fix it. i took the carb off when i brought it home. and looked at the float and everything seemed fine. i rebuilt the carb about 2 months ago when i bought the boat so it has all new parts.

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1975 johnson 40hp outboard motor flooded?

Were you choking the snot out of it while trying to start? That could explain the fuel.

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

no i do that when i go to first start it it starts up easy when it is warmed up.

and onther thing i noticed was after i took the carb apart and put it back together i pumped the bulb up and gas poured out of the carb.

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

Needle and set or float trouble.

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

i have another ?. is it posible to pump the bulb to much. where gas will come out if everthing is in working order

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, you can't.