LocTite on Rod Bolts?

c4rodder

Recruit
HI- This is my first outboard rebuild. I just bought a boat with a 1978 Stinger 75hp (75ELR78C). The flywheel would only turn about ?45?. Once I split the case open I found the lowest connecting rod cap only finger tight. What do you guys think about applying loctite to the rod bolts and torque to spec?

Thanks

jimyoung

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: LocTite on Rod Bolts?

I have never rebuilt an outboard.....but if you were to use loctite, I would use the primer they offer and apply the blue threadlocker. My local loctite rep races motorcycles and uses it on everything. I sell it, but dont rebuild motors, so I have never used it on my stuff, my customers swear by it.

c4rodder

Recruit

Jim- Thanks for your input. I have used the blue loctite on external fasteners, but my concern was with the internal heat and oil/gas mix. Could that break down the threadlocker and allow them to come lose again?

Thanks for your help

red boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would not use Loctite! The reason the bolts were loose was because they probably stretched. Buy new rod bolts lube with E/J TCW3 and torque to specs. The integrity of that bolt has been compromised and reusing it will result in another post in a few months about rebuilding your motor!!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If you use Loctite do not retorque the bolts after the initial 3 step sequence. Never reuse rod bolts that have had Loctite on them. If Loctite was used, clean the threads in the rod really good. If you want to get real technical, you want to use a drop of something like transmission fluid on the threads. You want the threads to slide as friction free as possible when achieving the bolt stretch (torque).

c4rodder

Recruit

I should have stated earlier that I have all new hardware that I am using for the rebuild. I just what to insure this doesn?t happen again.

jimyoung

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can call 1800-loctite....they have a tech dept that could answer your questions also

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Use new bolts and torque to specs with an accurate torque wrench. They won't come loose. Those that did must have been monkeyed with in the past.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Use new bolts and torque to specs with an accurate torque wrench. They won't come loose. Those that did must have been monkeyed with in the past.

Yep..
Motors from the factory don't use Loctite, they use new bolts torqued to the proper Spec. Wasting time with Blue (not meant for this application), and if you use red, you will have a heck of a time getting them apart, and also the whole mess will be unusable a second time..red eats away and fuses metal..get new bolts..