'95 Evinrude Vindicator 200hp Issues

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer
I just bought a '95 Skeeter not even a month ago, and everything on the boat checked out when they inspected and tested it at the dealer. Compression in all chambers was at or above 100, no carbon deposits in the cylinders, and the water and oil pumps worked good.

I took the boat out on the Ohio River for the 4th time since I've owned it, and decided to do some fishing. I ran it hard for around 20 minutes until I found a spot I liked, and then I shut it down and trolled for around 30 or 45 minutes while I fished with the engine out of the water to prevent drag. When I tried to start it back up the warning horn sounded, and wouldn't shut off. By reading the manual it said it was 'overheating', and I went through the backwash procedures and ensured I had a steady flow from the water pump. Everything looked fine, and the water coming from the pump that was shooting out the back of the engine was cool, but the horn kept sounding. Another thing I noticed is that it smoked like the dickens, and it normally doesn't smoke THAT bad when I start it up. A thick bluish gray smoke billows from the engine until I shut it back off. Oil levels are good, water flow is good, and it doesn't seem to have any fuel flow restrictions. Also, the water intake screens are clean as a whistle.

Anyone have any idea what it might be? I am new to outboards, and I could really use some help.

Knightime

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '95 Evinrude Vindicator 200hp Issues

If the tattle tale is working, the next thing I would do is feel the engine while it is running (warmed up)...you should be able to leave your hand on the heads for a few seconds. I have seen the sending unit to the warning alarm get shorted...

Walker

Captain

If the tattle tale is working, the next thing I would do is feel the engine while it is running (warmed up)...you should be able to leave your hand on the heads for a few seconds. I have seen the sending unit to the warning alarm get shorted...

Good advise, but I might add that just because the tell-tale is flowing doesn't mean the water pump is pumping enough water for efficient cooloing. I'd change it and the t-stats.

Knightime

Seaman Apprentice

Walker....right you are, I should have mentioned that. I actually had the tell-tale blocked from bugs and discovered this only after tearing the out drive off....*smile*.

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer

I was thinking the same thing. I noticed this afternoon, after hooking it up to the water hose and running for a few minutes, the water from the tell tale is almost 100 degrees just 30 seconds after I start the engine. I was thinking maybe I sucked some sand or debris up in the water pump, and it's just enough to restrict the flow all of the way even though it feels right.

Does anyone know where I can download a tech manual for my engine, so that I can go ahead and change the water pump and thermostat tomorrow?