79 evinrude 25 hp

dwalks

Recruit
I have a 1979 evinrude 25hp. The gears that control the throttle in the tiller arm where it bends upward have lost there teeth, thus when engine is running I have no way to control the throttle to shut it off. Only way to shut off is choking it to death. My question is what are those 2 gears called and how do I get them off?

Thanks

Lubosleftboot

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 79 evinrude 25 hp

I have a 1979 evinrude 25hp. The gears that control the throttle in the tiller arm where it bends upward have lost there teeth, thus when engine is running I have no way to control the throttle to shut it off. Only way to shut off is choking it to death. My question is what are those 2 gears called and how do I get them off?

Thanks

Hi and welcome to iBoats...

The gears you refer to are called the pinion control gear part number 0303142 and the throttle gear shaft part number 0388657 all the information is available here
http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=E

Hope this is of some use to you;)

LLB:)

If you are in the UK I may be able to help with these parts.

dwalks

Recruit

hey thanks so much for the info. unfortunately I am in the US.

:(

Any idea how the old parts come off?

fast_eddie

Cadet

I am not sure about how the parts come off, but I do know that the part numbers that Lubosleftboot gave are OMC factory part numbers. You just have to drop the 0 on the front so that the numbers are

303142 = pinion control gear
388657 = throttle gear shaft

These should be able to be ordered if not discontinued through any good marine store.

I use "Superior Boat and Motor" out of Langston, Michigan. They can look these numbers up and tell you whether or not they can order them. They also have a lot of old used parts they can sell. I redid the whole ignition on my old 1964 28hp johnson RX-12 and in the process of removing the armature underneath the flywheel, I broke the end of the throttle tower off. They had a used one that worked perfect. I even helped him wrip it off the old motor.

dwalks

Recruit

hey eddie ,

thats for the input!!

If anyone knows how to get the pinion gear off please let mde know:confused:

Also any pic of these parts? so I know I am ordering the right thing

Thanks all

fast_eddie

Cadet

not sure on shaft length but I hope this helps.

89 = 303142 = Pinion Control Throttle
92 = 387057 = Gear and Shaft Short
107 = 388657 = Gear and Shaft Long

http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=E

Go to "Evinrude" then "1979" then "25904R 1979" then
"Exhaust Housing -25" or "Cylinder and Crankcase" (Depends on what parts your looking at)

Not sure even if this is the right model.

Also to get these parts out which look very similar to my engine, you are going to have to remove the Control Lever and pin (Listed under Cylinder and Crankcase as Part number 37)which is the long rod that fits down into the Pinion Control Gear and goes up the side of the motor. It is attached by a spring (Listed under Cylinder and Crankcase as Part number 81) to the armature under the flywheel around where the plug wires come out, and also by two flat head screws that hold it to the side of the engine. It should just pull up and out after disconnecting it. Be carefull though not to flex the end that is attached under the flywheel as this end that is attached by the big loopy spring can break off very easily. This is what I broke the other day.

Attachments

• exhaust housing - 25.JPG
    exhaust housing - 25.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 0
  • cylinder and crankcase.JPG
    cylinder and crankcase.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: