• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

1991 Evinrude 175 hp Lower Unit ?????

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 Evinrude 175 hp Lower Unit ?????

Hi, I have 1991 Evinrude 175 hp, Model: VE175TXEID, that I need to replace the Impeller but Lower unit wonít come lose, I got all the bolts remove even the one that is underneath the stabilizer, I also remove shift rod pin from underneath the carburetor, and the Lower unit wont come lose, Is there anything else on this Motor that I have to do before Lower unit is remove. I have been hitting the Lower unit with a Rubber mallet and the Lower unit still wonít come lose, it came down about half Inch but thatís about it. I will really appreciated any Help

Thank you

Re: 1991 Evinrude 175 hp Lower Unit ?????

have had same prob shaft froze in crank or stuck in pump area
    ihave a 150 evinrude 1981 have tryed wooden shims . prying
    pounding you name but one day it will fall off.
    good luck .benny b
    Benny B

Comment

Is there anything that can be done? Or I would have to replace the motor? Is there any way that I can get to the drive shaft and cut it? I would replace the Drive shaft than the whole motor, any advice, Iím dying to go fishing and Iím stock without an Impeller.

Thank you

Comment

did you say it dropped a 1/2 inch?

are you shure you shiftrod is disconected?

Comment

when you took the pin out did you push the shaft in to free the shift rod?

your driveshaft is not frozen otherwize it wouldnt drop a 1/2 inch.

Comment

after I remove the pin (screw-in type pin) I was able to push down and up the shift rod with my hand, just to make sure it was loose, after the lower unit drop 1/2, I was pretty sure that something was holding the lower unit but I look all over to see if something was holding the lower unit from dropping, but I couldn't fine anything.
            Thanks

Comment

also I found this cable, like it is, it is lose and nothing on the other side of the plug to connect to. any idea what is this cable for. Motor was equipt with Vro pump.

Comment

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Comment

You must have missed a bolt, there should be 6 of them. 4 obvious ones that you can see, one under the plate, and then one more big one in the back of the lower unit, closest to the prop.

Also I have put some carpet down before and stood on the cavitation plate and bounced up and down until the L/U dropped, but that is only after I KNEW that all the bolts were out and the shift rod was completely disconnected.

I thought you had the pin type shift rod connection that you have to push towards the port side to release. If you say you have the screw type, then make sure you can move the shift rod back and forth, so you know it's free. DO NOT spin it or move it up and down yet, or you will adjust the height of it, and make more problems for yourself.

Comment

I can move the lower unit from left to right, it is very loose but it won't drop, I can also see 1 /4 inch of the thermostat housing, I can also move the shift rod back and forward and it feels very loose also, I was thinking on running the motor at 3500 rpm on ear muff, without any screws holding the lower unit. Just to see if the vibration will let it drop, but my battery is dead, so I will have to do that tomorrow. Do you know if running the motor without any screws holding the Lower unit can cause any damage to the motor? I know what ever is holding the lower unit it has to be something small, my guess is that rust got to the shaft and the rust itís whatís holding the lower unit but that is only a guess

Thank you

Comment

Running it can sometimes free up a stuck drive shaft (not at 3500!), but you're further along than that if it's dropping 1/2". You might try tilting it and see if the angle change gets something to unbind. You're real close, just keep trying.

Comment

Working...
                      X