1975 johnson 6hp water pump

SteveB07

Recruit
How do I replace the water pump?
I can't get the lower unit apart. I took off four bolts and I thought the unit would come apart. So I took apart the gears at the bottom thinking that I may need to disconnect the shifting rod. I took everything apart down there, but it still won't come apart. Is the shift disconnect the culprite? if so How do I disconnect it?

Last edited:

iwombat

Captain
Re: 1975 johnson 6hp water pump

Oh boy! We've really jumped into it now haven't we?

Once you remove the four bolts the lower unit should drop about 1/2" or so. If it doesn't shifting neutral to forward, or rotating the flywheel may coax it into dropping. In the front part of the split, you should see a bronze coupler with two fasteners through it. Remove one of the fasteners completely and the lower shift rod should disengage from the upper. The lower unit should then come right off.

Then you get to rebuild your lower unit now that you've taken it all apart.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

In addition to the shift rod connector, there is a pin through the top end of the drive shaft. That pin has to drop down through a slot. What this means is, remove the spark plugs and slowly turn the flywheel till the pin and slot are aligned as evidenced by the unit will then come down. Do not force, you will shear off the pin. Note the position of the pin when you get it down so you can put it back in the same positon and it will go through the slot when you go to reinstall it.

If that isn't enough, when you reinstall, look in there with a flashlight and make sure the notch in the shift rod is perfectly aligned with the screw hole in the brass connector. If the screw rubs on the edges of the notch, it will wipe the threads off of the screw every time. Then it falls out 5 miles from the dock.

dad's boat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok guys you are sarting to scare me with that hole five mile from the dock thing. mabye I should get a better pair of oars.:eek:

miezu78

Recruit

i had the same problem and this advise helped...now that I reached the pump...you know the 4 bolts that hold the watter pump in place...ummm I slowly tried to unscrew one of the bolts and the head of the bold ripped off...so I sprayed wd-40 on the remaining 3 and waited 30 or so minutes then I tried removing the second bolt...same thing the head came off...and so did the remaining 2. so now how do i remove the bolts...if I use that tool to remove broken screws im afraid it wont help... I thing the bolts were glued there. I have had the engine for 2 years and never used it, then my brother had it for about 3 years and never used it and the guy he bought it from had it for at least 2 years and never used it

miezu78

Recruit

i figured it out

i had the same problem and this advise helped...now that I reached the pump...you know the 4 bolts that hold the watter pump in place...ummm I slowly tried to unscrew one of the bolts and the head of the bold ripped off...so I sprayed wd-40 on the remaining 3 and waited 30 or so minutes then I tried removing the second bolt...same thing the head came off...and so did the remaining 2. so now how do i remove the bolts...if I use that tool to remove broken screws im afraid it wont help... I thing the bolts were glued there. I have had the engine for 2 years and never used it, then my brother had it for about 3 years and never used it and the guy he bought it from had it for at least 2 years and never used it

mik1947

Cadet

How did you take care of the broken bolts? I'm asking because I'm preparing to change my impeller and I would sure like to know what can be done if I run into the same situation!