starting problem, 1990 225 hp evinrude looper.

eldon

Recruit
I just had the powerhead done last year and it has about 60 hrs on it to date,
added new timeing base, power pack, and the fly wheel is also new (magnets are good), compression is 90 psi on all six + or - 2 psi. this motor ran just fine until last weekend. At start up there is no fire on 3,4,6, then in about 4 seconds it start hitting on all six and runs fine, (checked it with a timing light) this has never happend before and is intermitent and happens more than not.
I do know there is a device that alternates firing on three cylinders when you are shifting the motor into gear but I'm not sure of the of the cylinders it affects, and I do not know where the device is installed on the motor or boat (not that its the problem) but a place to start.
Also does anyone know what the timing is atdc,this is at idle in gear?
If you've had this problem and got it fixed or know what to do to fix it, please let me know, and I'll put you on my Xmas card list for next year.

Best regards
eldon

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: starting problem, 1990 225 hp evinrude looper.

The switch is controlled by and located at the shift arm on the engine. You can disable it temporarily by disconnecting the switch's black ground wire from the block.

eldon

Recruit

Thanks for the responce, Is this the same switch that has the black with yellow marking? I'll try that this AM.

Ezeka thanks for the help, Have you heard of this happening befor? Would you happen to know the cylinders that are afected by this switch.

Again thanks for the help.
eldon

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The shift assist should affect cylinders 1,3 and 5 on the starboard bank.

The black and yellow wire is the kill wire for the shift assist. It controls by grounding out the powerpack on that side. It joins with the rest of the kill system and uses the same black and yellow wire, but there is a blocking diode on that side to prevent it from affecting the port cylinders.

Disconnecting the solid black wire prevents the switch from grounding the power pack.​

red boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

timing should be 6 deg at idle and 18 deg at WOT.