1979 Johnson SeaHorse 115 blowing fuse

mwoodard

Cadet
I have a reccurring problem of the inline fuse near the solenoid blowing the little size 4 fuse. If I put in a size 7 (same 32v) it does not blow. Engine was running like a top, stopped to fish...then this all started. Solenoid has been replaced. Replaced switch, (with care taken to wrap scews adn terminals inn electric tape before installing in remote box.

WHen it will crank it may run for a few minutes then die. I have checked fuel lines, filter looks good, will pump fuel when squeezing bulb with hose disconnected at T for carbs. When fuel line connected all the way the bulb seems hard to prime. Any thougths?

BTW If you fix this I will be on standby for any computer issues you have ( long time IT manager)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 Johnson SeaHorse 115 blowing fuse

I may stand corrected by others on here but i believe you're underfused there, i believe it should be a 20 amp fuse, but let the experts tell you for sure. gl

mwoodard

Cadet

OK, while I have the # fuse in and it is not blowing I still cannor get the engine to do anything but start for a few seconds. Took the carbs off and they are getting fule...bowls are full, needle valves are working.

Could this be a reed problem? I sprayed starter fluid in to get it crnaking and it ran for about 30-45 seconds with no issues. I told my regular Boat Mechanic about this and he stated I could have easily blown the reed valves. Is this true or am I getting primed to pay his car note for no reason.

Also, Could this be a timing issue? The engine idles a little rough when it cranks with the starter fluid but I assumed this was becasue it would starve for fuel rather quickly. This problem has me baffled.

THanks in advance for any help.

mwoodard

Cadet

FIXED! Found the answer in another thread. I had installed an after market switch and the post M connection was reversed from the OEM part. Was getting just enough spark to fire when primed with starting fluid.