110 Evinrude tell tale water temperature?

wcrtwc

Recruit
Searched a while on this, couldn't get a straight answer. I have an 87 110 bubbleback V4 that I replaced the thermostats and water pump in. Cranked it up today on ear muffs and only got cold water from the tell tale. Heads were not overly hot to the touch, I could keep my hand on them a while. No water coming from the exhaust bypasses but I figure this is because there was no backpressure from running on the earmuffs. The bubbleback stayed cold as the water coming from the tell tale (garden hose temp.) Did I screw up the t-stats? I used a Sierra kit with all new grommets, springs, t-stats, ect. All my other OMC's (2cyl's) had lukewarm water coming from the tell tale, I think I may have a problem. Any thoughts? Thanks a bunch for your help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 110 Evinrude tell tale water temperature?

Double check your work as you have something installed wrong or missing.

hoeser

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is "overly" hot to the touch.. shrug. If your finger isn't really uncomfortable in 3 or 4 seconds then I would agree that something is installed incorrectly. I've never had really warm water out of my tell tale on my bubble back. I just redid my thermostats and I know they are installed correctly - my heads get hot enough that after 3 seconds I want my fingers back but my tell tale stream is still pretty cool, especially on muffs because garden hose water is pretty cold... It would probably be luke warm on the lake... but the lake here is luke warm to begin with.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The telltale on your V4 only tells you that the pump is pumping. It is close to the beginning of the water's route through the motor. It hasn't actually circulated through the motor yet. It should be warm by the time it exits the cylinder heads into the thermostat housing...
- Scott

wcrtwc

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. Makes sense to me, I was only running it at an idle for about 5-10 mins at a clip so it wouldn't get really hot. So basically, the water goes thru the pump first to the powerhead adapter and thru the bubble back thing, then the t-stats open to let water from the powerhead adapter go to the block? By the way, what is the purpose of the bubble back and why the two designs? (flat back vs. bubble?)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Actually, water runs through the entire block, then through the heads, then to the stats. The powerhead fills with water FIRST, then hits the stats. That way it holds the water in the powerhead long enough to heat up. The stats are last on the water's journey before exiting...

The bubble back is a tuned exhaust splitter for the bigger horsepower crossflow V4s (115s & 140s). Helps the exhaust scavenging...
- Scott