'51 Johnson Starting Procedures

OldAmerican

Cadet
I inherited a '51-'52 Johnson 10 hp engine that I was having trouble starting so took to a shop and had it gone over. Guy worked it over and said it was good to go. But I still have a hard time getting it to start and stay running once it does start (dies when you put it in gear). I figure it has something to do with setting the controls on the front of the engine. Does anyone know how to properly set them for starting and running? And what exactly is the correct starting procedure for this engine. No owners manual and the instructions on the case are worn off.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '51 Johnson Starting Procedures

starting procedure for that motor is. pump the button on the tank until you can any more (hard), this pushes gas to the carbs. in neutral, throttle as far as it will go. pull out choke, 3 good pulls should start it. if not pump some more, 2 pulls, then push in choke. this motor pumps air into the tank to force gas into the carbs, there is no fuel pump.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Don't have a real good mental picture of that one myself, but doesn't it have a primer instead of a choke? Proceed as above, except mash the primer two or three times instead of pulling a choke knob. Don't be getting into that carb if you can avoid it. It is pretty obsolete.

wbeaton

Commander

That motor doesn't have a choke. It has a primer.

Set the gear shifter in nuetral. Move the throttle advance lever on the front of the cowl to the middle or start position. Push the primer in 3-5 times. The primer is the knob on your right (engine port side) that says push to prime under it. Pull the cord. Additional priming may be required.

Also, the link that Scaaty posted is great except that it doesn't apply to your motor. You have a different carb. I'd tell you how to set it, but I'm only now figuring that one out.

For what its worth, that will be a great running motor once you get it tuned. Also, it may have the earlier style coils and push rod points. If it does you will find good ignition parts are hard to find. If you ever have to replace them I suggest updating the entire magneto to the later style.

OldAmerican

Cadet
wbeaton-- Did you ever figure out how to tune that carb? I have had the engine running but not convinced it is top notch.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
10 years later and you still haven't got it going? Well anyhow, adjusting the carb isn't rocket science. With motor on a boat, on the lake, in gear and throttle wide open, tiller arm down, adjust the high speed knob to where it runs the best. Then slide throttle to the left to idle speed and do the same thing with the slow speed knob. Then leave it alone.

OldAmerican

Cadet
Not that bad. I have had it in the water several times and it does run and start but just wasn't sure it was as good as it should be. Based on the last post from F_R I take it that there is no need once you have gotten max rpm out of it at high speed to then back it off like a quarter turn to cause it run slightly rich? Same for idle?