1994 88 evinrude blowing smoke

wilber

Recruit
Help, I just bought a smoker craft with a 94 88 evinrude that was running rough a slow speeds, so I was advised to use sea foam, now it is smoking bad the longer I run it. Also having probems with trim, tilt works but no trim. I think I got the shaft on this one...

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1994 88 evinrude blowing smoke

Welcome to iboats. :)

Don't be too concerned about the smoke just yet. It might do that as the motor cleans itself. It is more likely to be due to the kind of oil used than anything else. Different brands smoke more or less.

Describe more about the trim problem.

clint

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1994 88 evinrude blowing smoke

Let the sea foam do it's job. They extra smoke is the burning off of the extra oil and stuff accumulated thru the past years on the cylinder walls. You shouls rebuild those carbs after running the smoke out and install new spark plugs. Good Luck!
Clint =)

wilber

Recruit

thanks, the tilt goes allthe way down when i give it the gas and wont trim up until i slow way down..is there more than 1 relay?

wilber

Recruit

Welcome to iboats. :)

Don't be too concerned about the smoke just yet. It might do that as the motor cleans itself. It is more likely to be due to the kind of oil used than anything else. Different brands smoke more or less.

Describe more about the trim problem.

the tilt works fine but when give it the gas the motor goes down and won,t trim up until i slow down..I checked the fluid level, it's ok...

bigwilly

Recruit

my boat did the same thing more than likely u have a bad o-ring in ur cylinder hopefully u can take it and have it repaired the o-rings for mine were obsolete so i ended up buying a new jack plate with tilt and trim