VRO disconnect - Johnson 200HP 1995

txlunker

Cadet
My "no oil" alarm went off on me today. ('95 Johnson 200HP). I'm not a fan of the VRO, and decided to bypass and mix my own oil/gas.

I have plugged the VRO line from the oil tank, and capped the oil intake with the proper sized nipple and a zip-tye.

But, I don't know what wires to disconnect to make the "no oil" alarm stop. it is a 4 wire assembly with black, grey, tan and purple wires.

Which wire do I disconnect, and do I just clip it externally or do i have to go into the VRO and disconnect?

Any help would be appreciated!?!?!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: VRO disconnect - Johnson 200HP 1995

Follow the 4 wire lead away from the VRO and you will come to the 4 wire plug. Disconnect it and cover both parts to prevent damage and shorting. Sometimes they tuck the plug behind other components, but it is there.

txlunker

Cadet

ezeke, it looks like I have to take the vro intake cover off to get to the plug. does that sound right?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

According to the wiring diagram for your specific model, the four wires leading away from the VRO terminate in a half round four wire plug which should be disconnected for running premix. The wires have to run to something; try to find it. On my motor it was hidden behind the T&T relay box.

txlunker

Cadet

Thank you very much it was behind the T&T relay box.

I appreciate it.

txlunker

Cadet

Bypass and 50:1 premix seems to be working just fine, but the "no oil" light and alarm still shows/sounds, even after I disconnected the 4 wire hook-up.

My alarm has 4 lights: 1. no oil, 2. water/temp, 3. check engine, 4. low oil ...

The initial run through "beep" and lights does as it is supposed to. Then the "no oil" light comes on with a long "beep". The "beep" stops, but "no oil" light stays on.

This was the reason I bypassed the VRO, and it is still doing it after the bypass and unhooking the 4 wire connection.

Any suggestions?

ob

Admiral

You'll need to also trace the two wires that lead from the oil reservoir to a location in the engine compartment.They are the low oil sender wires for the 'low oil alarm' feature.Should be one tan and one black wire.

txlunker

Cadet

ob,

Can I disconnect them at the oil resevoir or does it have to be in the engine compartment?

ob

Admiral

Either location.Don't know if you'll have plug-in terminals on the reservoir end though.Let us know how your vro disconnect turns out,with repsect to silencing your alarm issue.Oh and ,make sure to remember that you'll now be mixing at 50:1 in your fuel tank.It's also a good idea to test the overheat circuit by grounding both of the tan leads from the head temp sensors with the key in the 'on' position and verify a constant tone from the alarm.This will insure that the overheat circuit is still operable once you've disconnected the vro alarms.Sometimes you can just peel back the tan wire connector sleeve and ground the exposed metal to the engine block or heads.

txlunker

Cadet

I posted my findings in a new thread w/ similar title.

Thanks for the help.