Evinrude 112 hp- Cavitation? Moron owner? Lower unit?

cmancuso

Recruit
First day out with the new (used) boat. 1996 Evinrude. Cruising along, no or little trim on the motor going straight, the boat just about stops moving. It feels like a dead body has attached itself to the back of the boat, the motor continues to wind out but the boat is now moving 3-5mph. I slow the motor way down and it seems to be moving very slowly and the motor seems to be in line with it but I cannot go any faster. If I try to increase throttle I get a lot of engine winding and go no faster. The other thing I noticed is the water behind the motor seems to be spinning pretty good so it's pretty good white turbulence but we're still not going anywhere too fast. About 3 mins of this and it feels like the dead body let go and the boat was fine. Pulled it in, lifted the motor nothing noticeable. Try it again. It does it again, this time I turned the boat 90 degrees and it seemed to kick right out of it.

Is this Cavitation, a lower unit problem or a moron owner that is new to boating? Appreciate any insights. Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 112 hp- Cavitation? Moron owner? Lower unit?

Well at first it sounded like you have a spun propeller hub, but the more you wrote the more it sounds like cavitation. Whatever it isn't the lower unit and probably not a moron. Ask your wife about that one.