'73 135 Hp Evinrude Primer Circuit?

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 135 hp Evinrude that has a cold start issue. After the initial start, it runs as it should. It now has a choke solenoid. In later years that item was replaced with a primer circuit, for good reason, I suppose. My curiosity has led me to think about replacing the choke with a primer. I have just begun reading, looking at schematics, etc. but I'm asking members of the forum for any input. Has anyone done this?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '73 135 Hp Evinrude Primer Circuit?

i personally think you are wasting your time. properly tuned, and proper use of the choke engine should start easily.. check compression, as this can cause start problems, and still run good. an engine with low compression, on all cylinders is hard to start, but because of equal compression can still run pretty well. is the choke solenoid closing the choke plates all the way? start procedures should be, pump primer bulb on hose till hard. fast idle lever all the way up, ( or if you have, the center button single lever, button in full advance throttle) activate and hold choke. start, after 3 rd try. repump bulb. try without choke. then choke. after start you will have to play with the choke till the engine settles.

burroak

i personally think you are wasting your time. properly tuned, and proper use of the choke engine should start easily.. check compression, as this can cause start problems, and still run good. an engine with low compression, on all cylinders is hard to start, but because of equal compression can still run pretty well. is the choke solenoid closing the choke plates all the way? start procedures should be, pump primer bulb on hose till hard. fast idle lever all the way up, ( or if you have, the center button single lever, button in full advance throttle) activate and hold choke. start, after 3 rd try. repump bulb. try without choke. then choke. after start you will have to play with the choke till the engine settles.

This motor has had everything done that has been suggested by Joe Reeves and an OMC group line leader that originally built the motor in Waukegan. I am satisfied that the motor is in spec.

As a carburated motor, maybe I'm expecting too much. It would be nice to not spoon feed the beast on its initial start.

You have the starting procedure down pat. I do not have to make a second attempt or third attempt with the choke. After the initial try, it is a matter of just turning the starter over 6-8 times until the engine catches. Then it is a matter of it getting up to operating temps. It seems as if the motor needs to burn up excess fuel.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

normal, and if you not having to do the 2nd & 3rd attempts, you are in great shape. be glad you don't have a Mercury inline 6 cylinder. those you have to practially flood to start cold.

burroak

I suppose that I should be satisfied with champagne power at a beer prices.:D

I can always start it in the driveway on the muffs.

That just seems wussy to me.:D