1970 Evinrude 60HP water pump change question

rfisher110

Recruit
I just bought a 1970 Model number 60ESL70 Evinrude. It has not been in the water for 14 years. I decided that I should put a new impeller in the water pump before I tried to start it. When I started to drop the lower unit, I was surprised to find the wires running to the lower unit. I quickly discovered that this is an electric shift model. Can anyone tell me how to unhook the transmission wires so I can drop the lower unit to get to the water pump.

Also, I'm having problems finding a parts list for this model. I see that Evinrude has several model numbers that year including 60ESL70 and 60ES70. Can anyone tell me the difference in these tow models? I'm assuming that the ES stands for electric shift, but I don't know what the "L" stands for in ESL.

I'm going to try and find a repair manual quickly, but any help I can get from this forum would be great.

:confused:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1970 Evinrude 60HP water pump change question

schematics and parts catalogues online here:
http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Accessories/Literature/?popup=true
(follow the links then drill down to your year/model)

for an original factory shop manual try kencook.com or marineengine.com

those are the Johnson model numbers, although 100% of the parts are completely interchangeable (apart from the cowling decals).

L = long shaft

on a 1972 L/U, you'd disconnect the shift wires at the engine by peeling back the insulation, then tape either end of a long piece of wire to the two shift wires & pull 'em through the exhaust housing, so you'd have a loop of wire in the exhaust housing to pull 'em back through when you were done. i'm betting it works the same on yours

welcome to the forum!

rfisher110

Recruit

Thanks for your help. I went to the web page you suggested and found it helpful except that it does not show information for the 60ESL70 model. This is what I am finding. If you know of other sources, it would be helpful.

Thanks Again.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Thanks for your help. I went to the web page you suggested and found it helpful except that it does not show information for the 60ESL70 model. This is what I am finding. If you know of other sources, it would be helpful.

Thanks Again.

Its there.....you have to switch products to "Johnson".

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

you must either have a johnson with an evinrude cowl, or an evinrude on a johnson mounting bracket.......no matter, unless you want to order the original paint ;)

rfisher110

Recruit

Thanks again for the help. It does look like the model number belongs to Johnson. I'm going to go look at the model number serial number plate and see if it says Johnson instead of Evinrude. It really does not make any diference but I'm curious. :redface:

Walker

Captain

They are all the same. Look on the port side of the engine block and you will see the 2 wires coming up at the base of the engine block. Follow those wire and you should come to some funny looking rubber boots on the wires. Slide the boots up or down the wires to expose the sissor type connectors. Disconnect the wires and tie a stron string to both wires. Drop the lower unit and the wires will pull out with it. The string is so you can pull the wires buck up when reinstalling the LU

rfisher110

Recruit

:) I am so happy that I found this site. Everyone is great. I have found that my Evinrude is a Johnson with a Evinrude engine cover. Who knows????

Thanks again

lawless

Recruit

I know this is an old thread, but I am new to boating and outboards, but from what I have learned between lurking here and asking other people I know, it seems as though my 1970 evinrude 60 (60073B) is not pumping water. I have run it with the "ear muffs" on the bottom set of screens just below the "whale tail" and I get no water from the top set of screens just above the same tail. I am mechanically inclined and feel 100% comfortable doing the repair, but what would be the most common failed part? Impeller only or should I be prepared for more?