• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

1962 5.5hp Evinrude

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 5.5hp Evinrude

Hey Guys,

As some of you know I have recently restored this motor. When I got it from my uncle a few years ago, he insisted the carb was clean because he went through it. I could run this motor in a bucket, but always had to be adjusting the mixture nobs and the choke to keep it running. I finally got sick of this and decided to rebuild the carberator. I bought the kit from here at iboats and THEN when out and started disassembling the linkages etc. I was really surprised when I found a cork float in there, which leads me to believe my uncle did not rebuild this carb. In fact the high and low speed needs are absolutely coated in varnish......as is much of the carb. All the o-rings etc are eaten away........its a wonder it ran at all. I have the whole thing apart now and soaking in some carb cleaner......waiting to be blown out with the air compressor.

I ordered the kit before realizing the float needs to be replaced as well. What part number is the float? Can it be boat seperately?.....or am I looking at buying a different kit from somewhere else. I have seen a few kits but it isnt specific as to whether a float comes with it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Here are a few pics so you all know what this carb looks like.....

My 1962 Evinrude Fisherman Restoration
    My 1986 Alumacraft Upgrade and 3-piece Removable Floor System

Re: 1962 5.5hp Evinrude

Float part number is 396514.

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
    (J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
    (J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-John...tc?refid=store
    Our Questions Require Answers... If You Refuse To Answer Our Questions... How Can We Answer Yours?

Comment

I have a '61 5.5hp and rebuilt the carb last year. Mine was still cork also. They are very easy to rebuild. (took longer to re and re the carb!) I bought my kit from my local OMC dealer and it came with the float. From what I understand you can easily get the floats seperately.
      Steve.

Comment

Pony, just checked laingsoutboards.com he has them the same float apparently fits 3-20hp 54-68 8.95 and he'll charge 5.00 shipping. call him and it will go right out.
        FLORIDA GATORS
        TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
        That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Originally posted by tashasdaddy View Post
          Pony, just checked laingsoutboards.com he has them the same float apparently fits 3-20hp 54-68 8.95 and he'll charge 5.00 shipping. call him and it will go right out.
          Thanks Tash. I had never been to that site before. I ordered a float from him.

Joe, Thanks for those settings. Right after I posted I was doing a search for them, so you saved me some trouble. Can't wait to get the parts so I can get this little guy humming again.

Is there a way to tighten the throttle on this motor. The throttle doesnt like to stay in one place, so if I put the handle in start and pull the cord, it will slide back into the shift/slow area. If I let go of the throttle at all it will turn itself back that far. Makes it a pain to start since you have to have one hand on the throttle constantly.

I have looked at it a bit, just cant figure out what to adjust.

Comment

The throttle friction is a tapered plug and spring inside the twist grip. However, I would say that somebody has had the coils out of your magneto and didn't adjust the gap between them and the flywheel magnets when reinstalling. The coils are dragging on the magnets which rotates the armture plate as the flywheel turns.

Adjust the gap by placing the ends of the coil laminations exactly flush with the machined posts of the armature plate where they sit.

Comment

Thanks F R. I will definately take a look at that. When I got the motor, I also got a box full of points, condesors, and coils.....along with a complete timer base for this motor. It wouldnt shock me at all if what you say is true

Comment

(Magneto Coil Alignment)
                (J. Reeves)

To align the coils properly, have the metal vertical portion of the coil yokes aligned with the inside edge of the bevel that exists on the top portion of the aluminum seat upon which the coils sit. This creates the proper distance between the coils and the flywheel magnets. Faulty alignment creats friction and the yokes of the coils heat up, turn blue and expand.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-John...tc?refid=store
                Our Questions Require Answers... If You Refuse To Answer Our Questions... How Can We Answer Yours?

Comment

Inside edge? Sounds like you are advocating a bit of cheating to make up for sloppy armature plate mounting? That's all right, I do that too. Of course, if one were to use the coil locating ring tool, it would align with the verticle edge.

Comment

FR..... Not everyone has the alignment coil locating tool that we technicians have, hence the alternative alignment procedure provided by OMC. However, pertaining to your mention of a common problem, should anyone encounter a loose fitting wobbly armature plate, see the following.

(Magneto Armature Plate)
                    (J. Reeves)

If the armature plate has a a loose fitting, wobbling motion (the plate that the points, coils etc are attached to), it is usually caused by a slightly worn support ring. This allows the point setting to change erratically as the armature plate turns.

The cure is to remove the armature plate so that the support which is attached to the powerhead with 4 screws is visible. Then, with a screwdriver and hammer, or some tool of your choosing, and looking straight down at the support ring, make an indentation at what would be called the 12, 3, 6, and 9 O'clock positions. Install the armature plate and check for a smooth turning wobble free movement.

You may need to do that procedure a few times to obtain the proper fit (not too tight, not too loose), but it's worth the effort.

Comment

As long as I am doing maintainance, I want to replace the impellor. I have no idea when it was replaced last, and it worries me a bit. I am fairly positive that the powerhead has to be removed to do this. Is this true, and how "undressed" do I have to get the powerhead to remove it?

I have both Seloc and Clymers manuals for this motor. I have yet to find a factory service manual for it, but have change the waterpump etc etc on my 88' 25hp before.

Comment

Re: 1962 5.5hp Evinrude (Tune up help)

I have the flywheel off now, and am checking the ignition components. The coils seem to be in okay shape, and if I need to replace them I can.....I have al least a dozen coils laying around.

As far as the coil positioning on the stator plate in regards to this issue I explained earlier, is there anything noticeable in this picture? Its a thumbnail to a full size pic.

Does it look like the coil is spaced correctly? I assume the spacing tool you guys are speaking of is to gauge the distance between the coil yoke and the crank.....

Comment

I can see at least one was rubbing, probably both. We are talking about them rubbing on the flywheel magnets.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by imported_F_R View Post
                            I can see at least one was rubbing, probably both. We are talking about them rubbing on the flywheel magnets.
                            Yup those two spots are the first things I noticed when I got the flywheel off.

I was just trying to mentally figure out how a spacing tool would work.........not that it matters, I certainly dont have one.

Thanks F R. I'll have to go back and re read Joes post and adjust them.

Comment

Pony, to change the impeller you do have to remove the powerhead but it is very easy. There's 6-7 screws underneath that need to be removed. Nothing has to come off the power head, just remove the fuel lines is all that I recall. The whole thing comes off as 1 unit.
                              Steve.

Comment

Working...
                              X