Need help bad. No reverse and clicking in neutral and reverse!

I lost reverse and gear clicks on neutral and reverse. I switched from forward to reverse going about 10 mph. Do you think it can be related?
My engine is a 1969 evinrude 85 hp.
Any advice would be great.
Thanks!

neamakri

Cadet
Re: Need help bad. No reverse and clicking in neutral and reverse!

i have a 40 hp merc with the same problem, however, I think i adjusted the throttle arm incorrectly. im goig to check the cable setting today

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Could be a cable adjustment, disconnect the shift cable from the engine and try shifting it by hand, if you can get forward and reverse this way you probably didn't hurt the lower and should be able to adjust it.

If you can't get it into one or both gears or can't find neutral you probably blew up something in the lower, you want to do all this by hand with the engine off and you may need to rotate the prop with your foot to get it to go into gear.

A quick way to tell if you blew it up is to drain the oil, if you have metal chunks you pretty much know it is blown, I think I woudl start here since you get the most difinitive answer quickest.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it is a 1969 85 he has the hydro electric g/c which is shifted electricaly. He could have the wrong oil in it, something wrong with the oil pump or soleniods in the g/c itself. The mtr has to be running to shift it.

BonairII

Commander

Since noone has asked the question...I will.

Why did you shift into reverse at 10mph?