1992 Johnson 150HP Silver Star Series

newport

Cadet
Can the fuel air mixture be adjusted ? I m being told my outboard is running too lean @ idle.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 Johnson 150HP Silver Star Series

Yes, it can be adjusted but I doubt it needs to be. What makes your "mechanic" think it needs to adjusted?

newport

Cadet

When the engine is initially started and in nuetral, it will make a "spitting" sound every few seconds followed by a stall. Easy starting again but will repeat the spitting and stall again. if I push the ignition primer in while running the spitting stops. Also shifting into forward or reverse (under load) seems to stop the spitting.I have twin outboards and the other engine does not act up this way.The local marina mechanic says "running lean".

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK, but why is it running lean? I'd start by looking for an air leak rather than just over-riding a possible air leak with more fuel. It could be as simple as an adjustment. If it stops simply by putting it in gear I'd look at the cable adjustments. A good sync-n-link is a good place to start.

newport

Cadet

Thanks Dadley for the recommendation. I'm not that familiar with linkage adjustments but I will start by looking for air leaks. Do I run the engine with the cowling off and try to visually see or feel for an air exhaust when it spits? One thing that is coming to mind is after this same engine sits for approx 1 hour or more at anchor (while fishing,etc) the engine starts but stalls when giving power . It will continue to start and stall when giving it the trottle until I pump up the ball ....that solves the problem.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If pumping the bulb solves the problem then look for an air leak from the fuel line bulb back into the pump. When it's sitting at idle does the pump "click" rapidly? Or once every 10 -15 seconds?

newport

Cadet

I'll have to check the fuel lines back from the bulb and the pump for what it's doing @ idle. Am I safe to believe that the pump will cycle faster with the air leak and I could easily tell by running the other engine (which does not have the spitting problem) and compare the pump cycles. (maybe one good thing about twin outboards is the ability to troubleshoot by comparison?!)