Evinrude 200 Vindicator/runs backwards

heflins

Cadet
Where do I start.Bought boat, when I first took boat out the idle was rough and very hard starting,after warmed up boat would start great and would always run great past idle.Took boat out about 7-8 times and it blew up.Rod looked like a twizzler after all was said and done. Sent power head out for rebuild, new crank /sleeve/rods and pistons etc..the whole nine yards. Place where I purchased boat installed powerhead for me and did a Decent job.Problem is now boat idles worse or as bad than before spits and pops and at idle it will act like it wants to stall out when it does the motor will actually start running backwards until it spits again then will start running normal direction.
Any Ideas
I'm thinking Carb rebuild and sync and maybe some timing issues
Any thoughts
Boat is now at a different dealer waiting in line to be looked at

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Evinrude 200 Vindicator/runs backwards

I would say don't do anything and take it back to the shop that did the work. It should have come with some kind of warranty, at least 30-90days i would think. As far as the rough ideling they probably used the old components and did not rebuild the carbs one may be plugged up which may be why she blew up in the first place. Or you could have weak spark or eratic fire from a proerpack. But i would still take it back, there is no way that they test ran that motor and called it good if it runs as bad as you say.

-nate

heflins

Cadet

I bought the boat from a third party at the dealer not actually through the dealer. Those guys said they would remove and install the new powerhead no labor charge and the plan was to take it to a shop that specializes in outboards these guys don't.
Just looking for some opinions and trying to get some info before the shop I just took it to starts digging into it.

heflins

Cadet

The carbs were not rebuilt not yet but that will prob be on the list.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

I'd say without a doubt that you have some serious timing isues, if you are running backwards. Did you ever find out what the original cause of it blowing up was, because if it was running lean before, you can bet it still is. If the place who put the new powerehead on doesn't work on outboards, I'd say they didn't do a link and synch either...did they just install the complete powerhead or did they put your flywheel and ignition on it from your old engine?

Either way, the shop it's at now should figure it out. You might want to tell them to rebuild the carbs even if they don't say anything to you about it. I'd go ahead and replace the water pump and stats also, since you probably don't know when that was done last.

heflins

Cadet

They took everything off including flywheel and ignition I sent my block and had it rebuilt.
They did not sync the carbs nor anything with the timing.

Not really sure what caused it to blow up I don't think it overheated and there really weren't signs of that cylnder getting hot. It looks like it started breaking and the rod cap, rings were ok the sleeves werent scored