'71 Evinrude 25hp electric start - pinion gear?

Steve Wilke

Recruit
Greetings and salutations - first post.

My Grandfather bought this Evinrude outboard in '71
Model/Serno:
25103S-E08872
From other helpful posts, I've determined the year to be 1971.

a couple years after he bought the motor, he had electric start fitted to it, on the starter is marked "Prestolite MDO-4102M".

However, the last few times my Dad tried to use the electric start, it would intermittently lock against the flywheel ring gear. Looking at it last night, it appears that the pinion gear has 10 teeth, and that is too small; the pinion gear teeth don't seem to fully engage the flywheel ring gear teeth.

There doesn't seem to be any provision to adjust the position of the starter, and selecting a flywheel with a larger ring gear seems ludicrous - as well as improbable, as it would interfere with the manual starter housing mount.

I looked in the parts catalog, but sometimes the diagrams are rather generic. The part # that came up is:

Is this pinion a 10-, 11-, or 12-tooth item? Or am I just plain missing something else?

This 10-tooth pinion is perfectly useable, and would be quite willing to swap it to someone who has the correct part. It would be a shame to keep a practically brand-new part like this out of circulation - someone else might be looking for it.