wiring diagram please, tilt trim

diggerdan17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
does anyone have a simple wiring diagram that will show me what i need to hook up my 2 wire tilt trim i purchased on ebay.the boat and motor never came with power tt so i will be starting from scratch.i currently just use small jumperclips to make the tilt go up.then i reverse the positive and negative to go down.i thought all i needed was a switch and a couple relays to make this system work.when i went down to order the relays and switch, the parts lady wanted to sell me the whole tilt trim gauge package which would come with a boat had the tilt trim unit been stock equipment.this is for a 90 hp 1981 evinrude but i believe the tt unit is 10 years newer than the engine.is it possible to hook this unit up to a simple switch by the steering wheel or do i have to order the whole tt gauge package?

throwback2332

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: wiring diagram please, tilt trim

Sorry no. A switch can be installed in the dash but all it will control is the relay pack, i'm at work now get off at 7, when i get home i'll look at mine and tell you. For starters you will need (2) SPDT relays (Single Pole Double Throw relays) and a pre-wired dual relay socket. You can find these at a car alarm shop, radio shack, might be able to do a search where you live. You have to wires coming from you motor correct green and blue??

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

edit

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that's a fantasic deal, better than jury rigging.

throwback2332

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Relay 101

__87

l __87a l
86 85

l

You will need (2) Bosch 12volt 20/30 amp relays
(2) relay socket holders or a few spade connects and 12 to 14 guage wire for the power cables and 16-18 for the switch wiring.

Wiring

Battery 12-14 guage
Red + to 87 on each relay
Black - to 87a on each relay then jumper 87a to 85 on each relay.
(jumper 87a to 85 on each relay by itself don't jumper then together)

Motor
Green to 30 on relay
Blue to 30 on the other relay

Switch On-Off-On 16-18 guage
top to 86 on one relay
middle to the red +
bottom to 86 on the other relay

Put a fuse near the battery on the red +.
Recheck your wiring then figure out up and down.

diggerdan17

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks everybody ,especially throwback.as usual you guys are great!

Walker

Captain

Or, you can get a 3 position high amp momentary switch. Positive and negative to the bottom legs. Jumper wires to the opposite side from each bottom leg to the top legs. You will have a X wiring arrangement. Then your 2 wires from your T&T to the middle 2 legs.

tashasdaddy

buy the time you buy everything to build it, you can buy the one on ebay. plug and play.

diggerdan17

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i looked on ebay and used the part #i was given in an ealier post.no luck so far.what is the name of the parts i,ll be needing ?

tashasdaddy

ebay this is the new complete kit. 12018039528 the plug and play. send me a pm i have diagram that will work. different year same harness.

caisson1

Cadet

Hi, I tried hooking up my 5 post relays according to your instructions, but I think I did something wrong. The battery sparked when I tried to reattach the neg. terminal. I found a diagram here in the forums, but it seems like it uses two 4 post relays. http://home.swfla.rr.com/netsvc/trim wiring.pdf It didn't work so I bought 5 post relays. Each post is labeled 30, 85, 86, 87 and 87. I have a two wire tilt, green and blue. Works fine in both directions when attaching to a battery.

Any help is appreciated.
Chris