'72 25 evinrude sportster

pwhirl

Cadet
after 12 years of sitting, the motor started on third try. we took it to a lake and it ran great. now, it decided not to start. good gas, compression, and spark. the vent is open on the fuel tank. should i check fuel filter? i am stumped and night fishing is upon us. any help is appreciated.

BF

Lieutenant
Re: '72 25 evinrude sportster

Hi,

I have a '70 version of that motor... if you have properly timed spark and good compression, that leaves fuel as the issue... you can pull the carb and give it a good cleaning. Also check that the choke butterfly is actually closing when you pull the choke knob. On mine, the little choke spring had worn mostly through, and had developed a little "catch" that would prevent the choke from closing even when the knob was pulled.

If it has really sat that long, I'd be suspicious of the coils (cracked and loose spark once they warm up), and I'd definitely replace the impeller! It would be a shame to toast a fine old motor because of a dried up $10 rubber part. My 25 seemed to pump water OK, but I changed the impeller when I first got it. I found the old one was dried out, and had one vane broken off that was getting pushed around the water pump. It pumped lots more with a new one.

If you checked spark and compression before you used it, I'm assuming you re-checked now that it won't start again? Again, the coils might have gone south once they got warmed up... or the motor could've overheated...

That's my $.02... good luck!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if it's not seized i'm surprized, a 12 year old dry impeller probably disintergrated,

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Fuel system problems are classic on motors that have sat a long time.
Usually youi need to go through the system from tank to carb.With special attention to cleaning and fittings and connectors.
Also be sure you haven't put fuel connector on backwards. Brother in law did that, fortunately I stumbled on it before we spent hours trying to start.