Can I use Yamaha controls on an evinrude?

goplay808

Cadet
I have yamaha controls and just bought a used evinrude. Can the controls be used on the motor? I was told there might be a conversion kit. Anyone know?

Thanks!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Can I use Yamaha controls on an evinrude?

Nope..get the right controls.. your dealing with a potential deadly situation (just don't aim the boat at me if ya do)

finlay

Cadet

yep dont go there, The conversion kit would only be for control cables

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

jpohnson and evinrude control are required. make sure you get one with the correct wiring harness, the harness conversion pig tail is almost as much as the control.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

check with a local marine/outboard store, they might Trade you controls for a pretty reasonable price (most have piles of controls in the back)

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Keep an eye on Ebay...they pop up quite often​

goplay808

Cadet

I think I need to give more info. I have the evinrude wiring harness for the motor. I can change that on the controls.

The part that I was inquiring about was the throttle and shift cable. Is there an adapter kit for the attachment to the motor? I have the threaded throttle/shift cables and I know the evinrude uses a different cable.

Thanks Guys!

throwback2332

Petty Officer 3rd Class

IF IF IF IF you are a good technician you MIGHT be able to rig up something i rigged a johnson/evinrude to a force outboard it didn't feel safe for the family so i replaced all the controls and sold the old one on ebay almost an even trade. I would get the right controls and sale the other. Let me know how long you need the cables might have an older set laying around

goplay808

Cadet

Ok so Yamaha controls CANNOT be used on an evinrude. Yamaha controls PULL the throttle cable while the evinrude motor needs to be PUSHED.

Am I wrong on this? I tried to set it up but thats what I discovered.

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

that sux, at least you tried!

ghind

Seaman Apprentice

All the Yamahas I've ever seen (two strokes only) have been push throttles.

All the proper mercs and OMC motors that I know of are pull throttles.

Yamaha made some engines for merc and vice versa. The Yamaha flush mount control model 6x0 is designed to operate either way and conversion is covered in the manual for it. It is a matter of moving a few cams.

With the 6x0 flush mount control, the throttle and gearshift can be taken care of easily. I don't know about the in gear start protection wiring, key switch and trim. I suspect there is a conversion kit for that.

I don't know about the other yamaha controls but I suspect it can be done with them also. However, if you only had the ugly standard control box, why couldn't you just unbolt it and replace with the standard evinrude ugly box? I suspect you have one of the nicer Yamaha controls???

goplay808

Cadet

ghind, I have a very simple 1998 control box for a 2 stroke 25 HP yamaha. The throttle cable on it pulls. The throttle on the 30HP evinrude I am trying to hook up needs to be pushed. That is the problem I have.

Can it be fittled with? It seems the throw on it is different too. I dunno...

Thanks!

ghind

Seaman Apprentice

goplay808, what you are saying sounds backwards compared to my experience, but I don't know about the small engines.

I only know about V6 outboards as I'm a skier and have adapted perfect pass speed control to work with the Yamaha push system. It is designed for a pull control system like inboard engines (and merc and evinrude v6's use).

What a Yamaha V6, when you accelerate, under the engine cowling, the cable is pushed out of the sheath and this opens the throttle.

With a merc/omc/inboard when you accelerate, the cable is pulled back into the sheath towards the hand throttle and this opens the throttle butterflies.

If you open up the hand control you have, you should be able to work out if it can be adapted. What is the model number?

I've not yet needed to change one around, but from memory, when I had a quick look at how it was done, you moved a linkage to the other end of a level.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific. Maybe a picture of the insides would help.