Is it hard to replace a T-stat on a 1973 Evinrude 135 hp?

My engine over heated because of a faulty water hose that connects to the left head. I need to replace a few things like the Impeller and maybe a new T-stat?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is it hard to replace a T-stat on a 1973 Evinrude 135 hp?

How "overheated" did it get ??? You could have a lot more damage than you think. Please explain the circumstances of the overheat and I think you will get some very constructive answers from there. One thing that I can suggest now is to get e manual for your motor.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

They are low under the exhaust cover between the cylinder banks. They are a nightmare for access. The plastic housings break easily. Never pry to get things apart, and if you find a way to get things apart without prying, please tell me. Do a compression test if you can and plan on removing the head to check for cylinder damage if readings are low. That's a lot easier than the thermostat. If the motor siezed, plan on pulling the head regardless. Even if it loosened up again when it cooled down.

tschamp20

Petty Officer 1st Class

mines not hard to get to.i know the 135 has the bubble back maybe thats why its harder.try removing back bottom cowl.