• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone else’s topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it’s posted at the end of someone else’s topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

converting to fuel pump on 1957 johnson seahorse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting to fuel pump on 1957 johnson seahorse

We have model RDE-19 C Johnson Seahorse 35hp and we have been trying to get it going. (It was given to us) Anyway everything seems pretty good we even got the pressure tank but it has no fittings and the only ones I see online are around $95.00 for each and we need both ends. So we were wondering if it will be cheaper to convert it to the regulas gas tank type but I guess you have to add a fuel pump? Does anyone have any info or suggestions about this? Ive seen online about converting a smaller hp engine but nothing over 20hp so im wondering if you even can on these? Thanks in advance.

Re: converting to fuel pump on 1957 johnson seahorse

Screw the fittings..run lines right to the carb and the hell with it. Ya ain't gonna pull the motor off daily, and just refill the tank with a separate gas can. Laings outboards had new twin hose cheap, or just go to an auto store and get new hoses.

Comment

a agree with Scatty, just order some 2 line hose from Laingsoutboards.com, and 4 hose clamps, you in business. besure to get the air and gas line in the correct position. got mine backwards once. i find it highly foolish, to change a technology that has proven itself for over 50 years. just bought a 58 35 johnny. remember it's a 24-1 fuel/oil mixture.
      FLORIDA GATORS
      TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
      That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Good suggestions so far. If you're really keen on a two-line quick disconnect fitting, keep an eye on the auction site for one...stuff like that comes up all the time. You can put a fuel pump on it, but if you have a functional pressure tank why bother? Converting will cost you close to $75 if you can find the parts used, then put a rebuild kit in them. Then you have to buy a modern tank and lines unless you have those already.

Comment

People sell those pressure tanks on ebay all the time not realizing how valuable the female fuel fitting attatched to it is. Take the fuel fitting off and turn around to sell the tank right back on ebay. Just keep your eye out. I see them go for about 40 to 50 bucks frequently. Laings sells the male ends for cheap. He's also got the replacement 0-rings for the female fuel fitting if it needs them. Good luck.
          “We do not inherit the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children.”

Comment

Thanks for all the good suggestions, you all are great!
            I think we might have found a pressure tank with the fittings, we are biddding on it right now. I'll let you all know!

Comment

are you bidding against me. i bidding on a second tank for my 58 35. i've submitted my highest bid, good luck.
              FLORIDA GATORS
              TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
              That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Drowned
                People sell those pressure tanks on ebay all the time not realizing how valuable the female fuel fitting attatched to it is. Take the fuel fitting off and turn around to sell the tank right back on ebay. Just keep your eye out. I see them go for about 40 to 50 bucks frequently. Laings sells the male ends for cheap. He's also got the replacement 0-rings for the female fuel fitting if it needs them. Good luck.
                Can't agree here on ebay tanks. The connector is on the hose end, just clamps to most tanks pump nipples. The people buying them see or ask if it has the female connector, and with a decent tank go for close to a hundred anyway. Decent tanks are 40 -50. Just sold 2 totally repainted and clean with new gaskets. Male fittings are cheap (I have one if someone needs one) email me hogrider@myway.com

Comment

Originally posted by tashasdaddy
                  a agree with Scatty, just order some 2 line hose from Laingsoutboards.com, and 4 hose clamps, you in business. besure to get the air and gas line in the correct position. got mine backwards once. i find it highly foolish, to change a technology that has proven itself for over 50 years. just bought a 58 35 johnny. remember it's a 24-1 fuel/oil mixture.
                  Wow Bob, just sold off all good parts (which were just about all) from a 58 RDS 20 35hp. Had a mess of good parts. Scattered all over the US and Canada now

Comment

i sold one 3 months ago not knowing i'd ever need it. still have 1 i rebuilt. i like having enough fuel for the day.
                    FLORIDA GATORS
                    TEBOW Country

Comment

Yeah, I meant ones that have the fitting on there. You can usually see it in the photo. I've bought two tanks that way.
                      “We do not inherit the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children.”

Comment

That Fitting I Saw It Listed For $ 136.00

Comment

I'd convert the motor. Its easy, inexpensive, and you can use a very large variety of tanks with your motor.

There is a "sticky thread" here, on how to do it. The "cliff notes version" is that you can use a bypass cover off of a later year 28hp/33hp motor, or you can use the original bypass cover.

If you use the 28hp/33hp bypass cover, the procedure is a simple swap and mounting of a new fuel pump. If, on the other hand, you use the original, you will have to drill out the center "boss" (all three are actually there, but were never drilled) all the way through the cover, and the mounting bosses part way through. Those mounting bosses then need to be tapped for the mounting screws.

One peculiarity of the old covers, is that the mounting/pulse bosses are molded very slightly higher into the bypass cover, than is true on the newer ones. Because of this, the Throttle Control Rod (steel rod, port side of motor) will hit the top of the fuel pump if it is mounted right side up. The fix is easy, just mount the fuel pump upside down.

If you make the conversion, don't forget to remove the nipple on the lower portion of the intake manifold, which is the source of pressure for the hose/pressure tank. You will have to plug it will a small bolt of the appropriate size, thread count and length ..... do not use a screw that is too long because it will hit the Leaf Plate, located behind the intake cover (internal), if you do!
                          Please don't PM me on advice issues - let's keep that in the forums, so that everyone can benefit. Please note that I do not email PDFs, etc. I have a bandwidth limited aircard for internet access. My avatar does not mean I have any offical link to iboats. I just like it!

Comment

i took a 6 gallen johnson tall boy to the dump a year ago... it was gnarly...but now i am haveing the darnest time finding a new one...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	bd684acdbf72b421dd77e7d5d9ce6cef.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	105171Click image for larger version

Name:	fcb91b8c2917c6a5b655d7a1aa1e9524.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	105170outdated thread cob, but is this what you refer to as a "tall boy" tank?
                              many men fish for years without ever knowing its not about catching one.

Comment

Working...
                              X