4HP Johnson Sailmaster - Water Cooling Control

vadero

Recruit
Hello forumusers,

I have bought a used Johnson 4HP Sailmaster(BJ4RLESR), which runs very good when I checked him in a water barrel. But with my first joy I didn't ask for the cooling control.
Normally, as I know it from some other outboard's, there is a small controljet of water dripping from the motorhead back into the water.
But my Johnson hasn't, there is only a little bit water which comes out together with the gazes out of the exhaust at the shaft.

Question1: a) Is the behaviour described above OK?
b) If not, where can I control water cooling?

Question2: Where can I get(buy) a manual for my Sailmaster?

Greetz, Dietmar

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 4HP Johnson Sailmaster - Water Cooling Control

There is no "pee" hole on this one. All the cooling water leaves with the exhaust gas.

If you ever have cooling problems despite changing the pump impeller one thing to check is the grommet at the top of the water tube. I'm not sure if the 4hp does suffer from problems there but the 6hp certainly does.

The engine diagrams on the brp website are quite useful.
epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=E

vadero

Recruit

Dear Vic, thank you very much
Vic.S said:
There is no "pee" hole on this one. All the cooling water leaves with the exhaust gas.
that's the fact I wanted to know. You save me a lot of time to investigate and now I'm really sure that my machine has the right cooling.

Many greetings, Dietmar

vadero

Recruit

Hi Vic,

just an additional request. Your link to the brp website with the engine diagram doesn't work. It seems that it is not complete. Can you please post it once more.

Greetz, Dietmar

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

go to brp-evinrude.com pick country.-- clik literature bottom left--- clik engine diagram-- follow prompts to your engine.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Sorry, we are not supposed to use clickable links on here. So put http:// in front of epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=E then you should get the full url of the parts catalog.

If I had strung it all together like this it automatically gets turned into a clickable link
http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=E