Evinrude 90 Regulator / Rectifier Tach Circuit Question

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1988 Evinrude 90 VRO with the VRO disabled. My Tach doesn’t work. My manual says “Check for 11 volts at the gray wire coming out of the Regulator / Rectifier at 1000 RPM. I can’t tell exactly how fast the engine is turning but it sounds like it’s faster than 1000 RPM and I get 0 volts. The book also says this check is for if you suspect the VRO No Oil warning system isn’t working. Questions: What’s the connection between the VRO No Oil warning and the Tach, and if the Tach circuit is the only thing wrong with the Regulator / Rectifier should I replace it?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 90 Regulator / Rectifier Tach Circuit Question

The gray wire is shared by the VRO circuit. If you have the three or four wire plug disconnected from the VRO, as you should if using premix, it would not matter.

Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals at the battery and take a reading with the motor off. Then take a reading with the motor running. That will tell you if the rectifier is working or not.

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hay ezeke,

How's it going. Thanks for the come back. The rectifier seems to be working, 12.5 with engine off, 14.3 with the engine running. If I replace the Regulator / Rectifier will my Tach start working?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I don't really think it is the rectifier with that voltage coming to the battery, but it could be

I could keep this going, one check at a time, But I think that you should carefully read this text from Joe Reeves and do the elimination test that he suggests:

"(Testing Tachometer With Water Cooled Regulator/Rectifier)
(J. Reeves)

A quick check is to simply plug in a another new tachometer as a piece of test equipment. If the new tach works properly and the old tach didn't, obviously the old tach is faulty.... but usually boaters don't carry around a spare tach (see below).

A faulty rectifier wouldn't damage the tachometer, the tachometer simply wouldn't work. This is due to the fact that the tachometer operates off of the charging system and the rectifier converts AC voltage to DC voltage, enabling the charging system. A faulty rectifier disables the charging system, and the tachometer simply doesn't register.

However.... those water-cooled regulator/rectifiers that are used on the 35amp charging systems (and some others) bring into play a different type problem, and as you've probably found out, they are really a pain to troubleshoot via the proper procedure. There's an easier way.

The tachometer sending/receiving setup operates off of the gray wire at the tachometer. That same gray wire exists at the engine wiring harness which is connected to the engine electrical terminal strip. You'll see that there is a gray wire leading from the regulator/rectifier to that terminal strip, and that there is another gray wire attached to it. That other gray wire is the wire leading to the tachometer which is the one you're looking for.

Remove that gray wire that leads to the tachometer. Now, find the two (2) yellow wires leading from the stator to that terminal strip. Hopefully one of them is either yellow/gray or is connected to a yellow/gray wire at the terminal strip. If so, connect the gray wire you removed previously to that yellow/gray terminal. Start the engine and check the tachometers operation, and if the tachometer operates as it should, then the regulator/rectifier is faulty and will require replacing. If the tachometer is still faulty, replace the tachometer.

If neither of the yellow wires from the stator is yellow/gray, and neither is attached to a yellow/gray wire, then attach that gray tachometer wire to either yellow stator wire, then the other yellow wire, checking the tachometer operation on both connections.

I've found this method to be a quick and efficient way of finding out which component is faulty.... the tachometer or the regulator/rectifier. It sounds drawn out but really only takes a very short time to run through. If the water cooled regulator/rectifier proves to be faulty, don't put off replacing it as they have been known to catch on fire with disastrous consequences."

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class

ezeke that quote from Joe Reeves was just what the doctor ordered. My Tach is good and I’ll be replacing the regulator/rectifiers because of Joe’s fire warning.

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong when I do a search but I didn’t come up with that post from Joe. Thanks and have a great day.

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

Might pay to check that the gray wire isn't accidently grounded somewhere before you replace the r/r. That would give you the same symptoms. Your battery is charging which means the rectifier & regulator are working OK.

Ixolib

Cadet

ezeke said:
The gray wire is shared by the VRO circuit. If you have the three or four wire plug disconnected from the VRO, as you should if using premix, it would not matter.

I have the exact same situation on my 1990 90hp (tach inop), and the VRO is also disconnected.

If that gray wire is shared by the VRO circuit, and VRO is disconnected, why does that not matter? In other words, can disconnecting the VRO and its associated circuitry have any impact at all on the tach being inoperable?

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe. The VRO sensor compares the tach signal with pulses from the oil/fuel pump piston (driven by crankcase pressure/vacuum) to make sure the VRO is operating OK. So the VRO is receiving the signal on the gray wire not producing it. I wouldn't have thought it would matter if the VRO plug is disconnected - unless this changes the loading on the tach signal which affects the voltage levels on this wire and hence the tach operation. Unlikely but possible I guess.

Can you read any voltage on the gray wire with the motor running?

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't get any voltage at all from the gray wire and I don't see any signs of chafe, splits, cracks, or missing insulation. So if the Tach circuit is the only thing wrong with the Reg / Rec can I run with the Tach connected to the yellow / red? The only reason I was going to replace it was because in Joe Reeves procedures he says the Reg / Rec has been known to catch fire.

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

Check the resistance (Ohms) between the gray wire and ground (with the motor not running). If this reads zero you have a short to ground on this wire somewhere. The gray wire carries a pulse signal derived from the rectifier. If the rectifer fails then normally the tach will stop working.

In your case it seems that the rectifier and regulator are working OK as your voltage is good and presumably your battery is maintaining its charge? By using the yellow/red wire instead of the gray you are taking the charging pulses directly from the stator windings that feed into the rectifier. The tachs seem to run off this signal OK as well.

I don't know exactly what's in the regulator circuit but there is probably a buffer (electronic switch) which isolates the tach signal from the regulator output. This may have failed.

If you have a shorted diode in the rectifier then the battery can discharge through the rectifer and you'll get some real heat which is probably what causes the fires that Joe refers to. However, you should be OK if the rectifier is working OK but of course I couldn't guarantee this.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I rebuilt a 1994 OMC 115 with a water cooled regulated rectifier for my nephew a few years ago.

When he first used it the battery cables were loose and they next noticed that the tach was not working, even though the charging circuit was apparently working.

A few days later the rectifier burned and the kids jumped overboard because of all the smoke and the fact that they had not carried the fire extinguisher.

What had happened was that the potting had melted. Next time the thing got hot it fused the wiring and set the potting material on fire.

Besides the ruined weekend, the fusing of the wires allowed the battery current to run to the engine and burned the sensor coil.

Admittedly it is a PIA to pull that rectifier, but you have been warned.

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks ezeke and seasport I think I have the whole picture now. I’ll go back to the book and do the full Reg / Rec check to make sure the Tach circuit is the only thing bad, check the Tach. wire from the Reg / Rec to make sure it’s not grounded and make my decision from their.

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update: Well I finally got time to check the Reg / Rec by the book and it looks like I need a new one.

So now I’m confused every place I look I see different part numbers and the description doesn’t match what I have under the cover. Here’s what I’m finding

iBoats
Description
3-lead Rectifier
Replaces OEM part #
OMC 580841
OMC 581305
OMC 582307
OMC 582399

Go2marine
OMC Voltage Regulators
10 Amp
For Johnson Evinrude Outboards
193-4204 Replaces:

I could go on. I want to make sure I get the right one so here’s what I have. The Reg / Rec mounts on top of the block and has 5 wires coming out of it Yellow, Yellow Gray, Gray, Red, and Purple, engine Model: E90TLCCA SN: 1809500. Does anyone know what part number I need?

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man ezeke I'm gonna have to come up to Cape Cod and buy you that beer I promised you. You’re the best.

Striper500

Seaman

I have a used rectifier part # 585195 from a 1992 90hp johnson if your interested. let me know.

rickyblanc

Recruit

I have a 1988 Evinrude 90 VRO with the VRO disabled. My Tach doesn’t work. My manual says “Check for 11 volts at the gray wire coming out of the Regulator / Rectifier at 1000 RPM. I can’t tell exactly how fast the engine is turning but it sounds like it’s faster than 1000 RPM and I get 0 volts. The book also says this check is for if you suspect the VRO No Oil warning system isn’t working. Questions: What’s the connection between the VRO No Oil warning and the Tach, and if the Tach circuit is the only thing wrong with the Regulator / Rectifier should I replace it?

I bought this boat a few week ago with a 1993 evinrude 150hp motor that came with a vro pump but the previous owner
disconnect the oil line but still had the wire connected to the pump. After reading a few forum online they say that you can disconnect the wire so i did, the motor run great but my tech would not work,i connected it back and it start to work
fine so i think the gray wire circuit continue there.