Boot keeps popping off spark plug?

Incaboater

Seaman Apprentice
Anyone know what to do about this? Also would this have damaged my engine? I was going about 35-40 MPH when all of a sudden my engine started sputtering and then my top speed went down to 10 MPH :^?? I didn't shut off the engine as it was not overheating or smoking or anything because I was afraid I would not get it started again. Anyhow I went about 1 mile back to my ramp and beached the boat. I took the cover off and foudd the bottom plug wire had slipped of the spark plug. DOH!! I was only running on 2 cylinders the whole way back, did that do any damage to the engine? I plugged the wire back onto the sp. plug and it was fine, full speed back to normal and engine was absolutely singing. Anyways it kepts on slipping off after about 10 minutes in the open water going full speed. Anyone have a solution to this? Thanks

Saskatoon2005

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boot keeps popping off spark plug?

Don't worry about it.....ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS........LOL! Take care,

Patrick

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Buy a new marine spark plug wire!

-Nate

Incaboater

Seaman Apprentice

WHa? was that sarcastic or did that really not cause any problems with my motor. After I found out that I went a mile with nothing but 2 cylinders thumping I thought I had messed something up. But when I plugged it back it she was fine. How do I keep the boot from slipping off? Its after shes in the open water when its a bit choppy, seems like it slowly gets bumped off in the chop then falls completely off.

kynolan2183

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get so good quality electric tape and wrap the boot with it several times tightly if you can't get a plug wire.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I don't know what you have there, but if the engine has the proper spark boot's, and inner connector, there is no way I can see that would let them slip off on there own. It take's a deliberate effort to remove those boots'. That short run should not damage the engine. The proper boot will slip down about 1 inch, or better, and have a tightly coiled inner spring for the connector.

Saskatoon2005

Master Chief Petty Officer

I was being serious! There is no problem to run it on two cylinders, there was still gas/oil getting to the cylinders to lubricate them so, there would be no problems with running it like that. So don't worry!

Patrick

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Replace the wires with a new (factory) set. Sounds like the rubber boot is damaged or stretched. Nothing lasts forever, they are obviously due for replacement. You have not done any damage to the cylinder.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

New boots are available separately if you don't want to go the whole wire route. Easy to replace.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

A good temporary fix is to wrap a zip-tie around the boot to tighten it up... I've done that one some racing engines that have the plug wires out in the open. We pull plug wires off the plugs anytime we're changing a prop, which is often, so the plug boots get a bit more on/off work than most service motors...
- Scott

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Zip tie is a great method. I have used it on a motorcycle and a lawn mower in the past.....but replacement is the best option.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It is possible to install a plug wire and have the internal connector twist and push off to the side of the plug instead of on it. If the plug wire is coming undone you are either not installing it correctly, or the connector inside the boot has become weak or possibly fallen out entirely. Have you looked inside the boot? A new boot and terminal end from any auto store can be installed. I really like the bakelite NGK motorcycle boots but they need to be modified to remove the internal resistor. Nice tight fit and the internal connections are brass.

Walker

Captain

If the boot is not torn or damaged just take a pair of pliers and gently squeeze the head of the boot where the metal clip is. Trial and error until you get it to snap on to the sparkplug.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Let's try a new boot and connector, I'm betting it will solve the problem. Try a new wire while your at it.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

The boot could be turned 90 degrees or so compared to the circle clip on the end of the wire.
Thus not "clicking" onto the plug.
Otherwise do what walker posted but not overjealous or you will collapse the clip.
Another possibility is that there is a tiny crack in the ceramic or around the electrode.
Allowing combustion chamber gases to blow the boot off.

Incaboater

Seaman Apprentice

I guess the last time I put the plug in it must have been the correct way because that thing is locked into place now. Took it out on Sunday and it didn't pop off one time. Thanks for all the info.